cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACSP limitations AP121s

ACSP limitations AP121s

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

We have AP121s on 6.5r12 in NG Cloud hosted, NZ country code. 

Only those APs set to Auto channel assignment allow the show acsp neighbor command to return a SSID chan list. 

When changed to a static channel, the acsp neighbor list is empty. 

Is is this a known limitation?

also even though the DFS range is allowed in the radio profile, the auto selection fails to ever pick a DFS chan, and results in multiple co channels which cause major cci drops.

2 REPLIES 2

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Many thanks for the quick reply clarifying the AP121 limitations.

The RP is set with Background scan enabled, all three options checked (clients connected, voice and powersave).

I did see only the BSSIDs reported for the channel used by the AP as you mentioned.

I got them back drop free by statically setting DFS channels throughout.

Glad I have a firmer reason to ask them to upgrade their old 11n APs.

thanks,

bpowers
Contributor

Jason,

Question: Does your radio profile allow background scanning?

As I think the reason you do not see a lot from the show acsp neighbor command when using static channels is the APs seldom go off channel to scan for surroundings when ACSP is disabled (static channel). So you should see BSSIDs from neighbor APs that occupy the same channel space that the AP is currently set to but may not see others. Enabling background scanning may help this a but, but I can't remember to what extent or if at all.

A few things. The major ACSP enhancements were in the 8.x release of HiveOS. I doubt that Aerohive retrofitted the 6.x code train with said changes. One quick way to look is to do a show acsp channel-info.

If you do not see the DFS channels in there, that'd be one problem. If you do see them, but they all have a higher than ideal cost (16ish was the default value that was applied to all DFS channels IIRC way back when), then I'd say it's safe to say that the ACSP enhancements where one thing was to remove the buffer weight value on the DFS channels was removed never made their way to the 6.x code train.

You do have a few options though - while neither are pretty, both could allow your APs to use some of the DFS spectrum.

My approach to tackling it would be to use the CLI Supplement on a set of APs (scattered throughout your facilities) and to do the channel exclusion command (int wifi1 radio channel exclude <channel #>) on a large portion or all of the non-DFS channels. As that command sets the weight value of a channel to the max value (32765 IIRC or it will remove it from the output of the show acsp channel-info command).

Another approach would be to statically set DFS channels on certain APs and see about enabling the option for the radio profile to revert back to the DFS channel in the event that it changes after the DFS lockout period expires. Again, a CLI Supplement may be needed to do this. The command is: radio profile <RP name> dfs static-channel

Hope this helps!

Brian

GTM-P2G8KFN