cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP230 failed to update the firmware

AP230 failed to update the firmware

egomez1
New Contributor

d5e46faef3a348a1a7c77918c1f0fb97_0690c000008OsINAA0.jpgThe actual firmware is the 6.1r6a, I want to update progresive to the 6.5r4 but I recibe the mesage "Device Update Failed. The AheroHive device was unable to save the image to flash memory . Rebootr the AeroHive device and try again.", but this doesn't work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Eduardo, I've emailed you directly with the files you'll need and a guide that reviews how to update the firmware from the APs Web UI instead of the HiveManager. We'd need to get the AP up to at least 6.5r3 to manage it in the HiveManager.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for that data. I'm seeing a lot of missed echo packets here. The HiveManager and the APs have a call and response check-in system that allows them to confirm that each side of the connection is still responsive; these call and response packets are called echos. There is a specific time window within which an AP would need to respond to an echo to be considered still responsive. If the AP misses a certain number of echos back to back, it is considered disconnected until it responds again. If an AP is still connected to the internet and passing traffic while missing echos, it's likely due to latency on the network; the AP is unable to process the echo request quickly enough due to the amount of traffic it has to process before responding.

Since the AP is randomly registering as disconnected, the updates are likely failing during one of these times. This is usually caused by latency on the backend network. If you'd like assistance troubleshooting this, and can send me a packet capture, I can let you know if we have any clients flooding the network or if we have too much multicast/broadcast traffic.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for checking. In that case, could you enable CAPWAP debugs, try to update the AP again, wait for that to fail, then pull tech data from the AP and send that to me at communityhelp@aerohive.com?

This guide reviews how to enable CAPWAP debugs: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/CAPWAP-debugs

This guide reviews how to get tech data from the GUI: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/How-to-download-tech-data-in-HiveManager

This guide reviews how to get tech data from the CLI of the AP, in case that's easier: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Collecting-Tech-Data-via-CLI

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

From what i can see i do have all three ports open and no content filters that should be limiting the access of the AP to access the updates

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Joshua, can you confirm you have the following ports open on your firewall and any content filters you may have?

UDP 12222

TCP 443

TCP 22

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Im having the same problem with my AP230s i have hiveOS 6.5r4

GTM-P2G8KFN