AP230 signal problem

hunter_hu1
New Contributor

Device detail

AP Model : AP 230

HiveOS Version : 8.2r2

HiveManager Version : 8.2r2

?

After long-time Running , AP 230 will lose 5 GHz signal.It can be fix after reboot device.I would like to ask what caused this situation.

Please advise and thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

aaron_krohnberg
New Contributor

I've been up against this issue as well. I ended up upgrading an AP230 to version 8.2r6 and then we turned on verbose debug via the CLI. Below is what the technician found.

Thank you for the attached tech data. While reviewing the 8.2r6 tech data I found the following error repeated:

2019-08-07 10:10:12 info kernel: [wifi]: wl1: fatal error, reinitializing

2019-08-07 10:10:12 info kernel: [wifi]: wl1: phyerr thresh exceeded HAMMERING!

This behavior is a know issue when transmit beamforming is enabled in the 5 GHz radio profile on APs running 8.2rX and 10.0rX HiveOS version. This issue is currently being addressed by our development team as part of CFD-3835.

Unfortunately there is not an ETA for the resolution yet. I would recommend either disabling TX beam forming or using non 8.2rX/10.0rX firmware for the time being.

it63
New Contributor

Can confirm that was happening for me in 8.2r4 gold version as well on AP230. Supposedly this particular bug has been fixed in 8.2r5 though other radio instability issues persist for me on 5Ghz. I can only use AP230 units on 6.5r11 for the time being. Support ticket along with tech data has been submitted.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Would you be able to update the HiveManager and the AP (in that order) to the latest version, 8.2r4? Also, if you could get tech data about 10 minutes after a reboot, then wait for the issue to return and get new tech data while the issue is happening, we can check both files for you to see if we can find the issue. If you want to email those directly to me, my email is communityhelp@aerohive.com.

To get tech data using HiveManager Classic (myhive.aerohive.com) go to

Monitor> Select the check box next to the AP> Utilities> Get Tech Data.

Some things to check in the mean time:

Radio Frequency (RF) Interference is the most common cause of signal issues, you might want to check the things suggested in this guide: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Radio-Frequency-Interference-Troubleshooting

You'll also want to look at the CPU to make sure it isn't spiking. Do you know what the client load is, per radio, when the issue is happening? Does it affect all client devices, or some kinds more than others?

GTM-P2G8KFN