cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP250 - Use both Ethernet ports as separate PHYSICAL links to 2 x networks?

AP250 - Use both Ethernet ports as separate PHYSICAL links to 2 x networks?

alan_thompson
New Contributor

Hi. I'm told this is entirely possible. There are similar questions out there on this and other forums, but no answer that I can go on and apply without further questions.

What I'm trying to do, is old fashioned and simple, avoiding complexities like VLANs etc.

AP250 has 2 x ethernet ports. I want to setup 1 port with a physical cabled link to our corporate LAN, and associate that with an internal SSID. The other port, I want to physically cable to a router which lets it straight to the internet, with a guest SSID (or multiple).

I was told this was possible, but pre-sales suggested this is more like consultancy which leaves me frustrated and struggling to find out how to accomplish this.

Solving this problem means I buy AH over CISCO Meraki - fact. That should incentive the presales but they're busy and would rather I look for the answer elsewhere I think.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GeorgiaMason
Contributor II

It would depend a bit on if you're using classic or NG for your manager. If you're using classic, you should be able to do this. You'd set up two different SSIDs (one for your internal, one for your guest), and they will technically need to be on separate VLANs (but your backend network shouldn't need VLANs set up). Then modify the device (monitor> check box next to AP> modify), and expand routing in the AP settings. Find the multiple network default routing section, and enter in the VLAN you want to go out of Eth1 (probably the guest).

What this will do is take any wireless traffic on your guest VLAN and send it out of Eth1. After this, the VLANs shouldn't matter, this is just a way to sort the traffic.

This explains that section a bit better than I can (expand Routing, scroll to the last section before the next expandable option) - https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/8.2r1/hm/full/Content/config/APs/manAPDconfig.htm

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

alan_thompson
New Contributor

Many thanks for the reply. I am using NG, at least I think I am. It's a new install, so I guess I'd go straight to NG anyway, right? Account setup and AP registered in March 2018. Your reply maybe suggests I can't do this then with NG?

GeorgiaMason
Contributor II

It would depend a bit on if you're using classic or NG for your manager. If you're using classic, you should be able to do this. You'd set up two different SSIDs (one for your internal, one for your guest), and they will technically need to be on separate VLANs (but your backend network shouldn't need VLANs set up). Then modify the device (monitor> check box next to AP> modify), and expand routing in the AP settings. Find the multiple network default routing section, and enter in the VLAN you want to go out of Eth1 (probably the guest).

What this will do is take any wireless traffic on your guest VLAN and send it out of Eth1. After this, the VLANs shouldn't matter, this is just a way to sort the traffic.

This explains that section a bit better than I can (expand Routing, scroll to the last section before the next expandable option) - https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/8.2r1/hm/full/Content/config/APs/manAPDconfig.htm

GTM-P2G8KFN