cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP30 ATOM Install - start to finish?

AP30 ATOM Install - start to finish?

thommo_41
New Contributor

There is a complete lack of instruction on how to install the ATOM AP30's. The videos show a complete config free deployment, literally plug and play. But nowhere does it give you details on the pre-requisites. I'm still having problems now. Whilst I wait for support from our reseller, does anyone have a full breakdown of what's required?

Videos and a webinar seemed to suggest it's literally take it out and plug it in. But I can't get anything useful from the device at the moment.

I ended up creating an auto provisioning policy, and used the on boarding on HiveManager NG. But I still can't connect to the ATOM, and it repeatedly fails to update when I try and change hostname. Any quick assistance much appreciated.

It's connecting to an AP250 (mesh) which has had backhauling mesh enabled on a radio.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

We do have some guides to help with ATOM deployment:

A guide to help connect the device (and the pre-requisites prior to plugging the device in)- https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/ATOM-CAPWAP

A guide to help troubleshoot problems getting the ATOM connected if you've done everything in the first guide but are still having issues- https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/ATOM-Troubleshooting

If you're still having problems, please let me know and I will do my best to troubleshoot with you here.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

bear
New Contributor III
  1. Just pretend like the ATOM is a normal AP wired and configure it, then try to connect to the network via wired AP using the ATOM.
  2. Now enable backhaul mesh on one wi-fi interface on the ATOM plus backhaul mesh on the same radio type of a nearby wired AP.
  3. Unplug the ATOM from the network and go plug it into wall power within radio range of the wired AP (referenced in step 2 above) , and it will mesh.

thommo_41
New Contributor

BJ - thanks for the info. I saw that in the documents and our AP's are all updated so that's one less thing to get in the way.

Sam - I've unboxed all 3 ATOMS and installed them around the floor, in proximity to different APs. The AP250 devices all have meshing enabled on both radios now.

I add the serial numbers (quick add) and then wait.

After quite some time (15 minutes plus) the devices showed up with a green tick.

I connect a device or two in close proximity to the Atoms, and no devices show as connected. They are connecting to the AP250's (in range, but weak signal, hence the ATOMs).

If I change the hostname on the ATOMs, and Save and Update, the ATOM is broken. The AP shows red status, stuck on 29% updating in progress. Been like that for half an hour or more.

• Do I need something specific setup in the Auto provisioning profile?
  • Do I need a device template specific to the ATOMS?
  • Am I wrong to assume these just simply take on the same role as the AP250's they are meshed to, with no further config?

Thanks in advance, Alan

thommo_41
New Contributor

Many thanks Sam. I am going to take another one out the box tomorrow and try that, I suspect we may have a faulty first unit, as it's been provisioned, then dropped off, then been reset and re-appeared, but at no point am I seeing any client connections on the device. Appreciate you watching out for the replies anyway, thanks.

bruce_stahlin
Contributor III

When we first attempted an installation, we were unaware that the meshed APs required HiveOS 8.4 or better for the hands free deployment. We were using AP350s upstream which only run 6.5. Hope this helps.

Best,

BJ

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

We do have some guides to help with ATOM deployment:

A guide to help connect the device (and the pre-requisites prior to plugging the device in)- https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/ATOM-CAPWAP

A guide to help troubleshoot problems getting the ATOM connected if you've done everything in the first guide but are still having issues- https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/ATOM-Troubleshooting

If you're still having problems, please let me know and I will do my best to troubleshoot with you here.

GTM-P2G8KFN