cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basing on your own experience, what is the max number of associated clients supported by AP1130 and how many concurrent active client it can support?

Basing on your own experience, what is the max number of associated clients supported by AP1130 and how many concurrent active client it can support?

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Even if we did want to override it, and even with short guard interval enabled and SLA helping out and 80MHz channel bonding assuming we could get away with it, the APs can only pass so much client traffic at a time, which is more what I was talking about with the 100-150 count.

That being said, my info was a bit outdated, sorry about that, our newer models can handle more clients at a time, given that they have more radios. For example, an AP650 has 4 radios, versus the AP250 which has 3 radios, versus an AP122 that has 2 radios. We're still expecting a max of 100 per radio, and again that's with virtually no client traffic going through, only whats necessary to connect the client device and maintain connection.

However, seeing your comment about this being an outdoor deployment, that limits us to the AP1130, since that is the only AP with the weather proof case. The AP1130 has 2 radios, so with 32 I believe that's going to come out 32*200=6,400 users max in a best case scenario.

I'm sorry I don't have better news. Even with our most powerful indoor model, we won't come close to your expected client count with that number of APs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

If you did want to have 3-4 APs on a single pole we would need directional antennas, and I would highly recommend a site survey when you are ready to deploy so you can take steps to mitigate RF interference as much as possible.

I took a quick look at the T710, and we have some of the features they are using, such as MU-MIMO and beam forming. And our newer, Wave 2 devices could also host ~500 concurrent clients, but our outdoor model is just not quite there yet. For Cisco, I believe the Aironet 1572EAC or Aironet 1572EC/IC claims to hold 1500 concurrent connections, but like Brian said, it might be wise to manage expectations with that.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Sam,

He did mention the possibility of multiple APs per power pole. So 3 or 4 per pole would 3X-4X your 6400. 4X would get to the 25k limit (25,600 in a picture perfect world).

But I agree, with the 100 client limit, things could get dicey. And again not condoning other vendors solutions, but Ruckus T710 for example claim to hold 512 concurrent associations. I've no idea how it manages the RF with that quantity of users associated (since we all know vendor marketing can be comical to put it kindly). Cisco's outdoor APs have a higher limit than 100 per radio (although I cant find the documentation that states it at present).

To answer your last question, Marco. It depends on the environment more than anything. How large of a venue space is this? Is directional antennas an option? The 2.4 GHz will be the biggest hurdle. While 5 will have its challenges, 25 non-overlapping channels means that if every AP heard every other AP, you'd have 4 APs sharing spectrum on the 5 GHz space. If directional antennas are an option and you could focus the RF towards areas, you could minimize this more to increase spectral efficiency some.

Low power APs, with some specific configuration in the radio profiles (Low SNR check, higher than normal mgmt data rates among others) and you'd be surprised. The 802.11 standard is extremely resilient. Your mention of rate limiting to 1 Mbps actually might cause concern if enabled at the APs. It might end up mucking up the RF. If you do rate limiting, I'd recommend it further upstream so that the devices can Tx/Rx as fast as possible to get them on/off the air and free up more airtime for other users.

You can also mask some RF issues with large internet pipes.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

In your opinion, mounting 3 AP1130 in every pole, for a total of 96 AP, can be useful to increase the number of clients or we will obtain only the effect to increase the interferences without an effective improvement about supported clients?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Even if we did want to override it, and even with short guard interval enabled and SLA helping out and 80MHz channel bonding assuming we could get away with it, the APs can only pass so much client traffic at a time, which is more what I was talking about with the 100-150 count.

That being said, my info was a bit outdated, sorry about that, our newer models can handle more clients at a time, given that they have more radios. For example, an AP650 has 4 radios, versus the AP250 which has 3 radios, versus an AP122 that has 2 radios. We're still expecting a max of 100 per radio, and again that's with virtually no client traffic going through, only whats necessary to connect the client device and maintain connection.

However, seeing your comment about this being an outdoor deployment, that limits us to the AP1130, since that is the only AP with the weather proof case. The AP1130 has 2 radios, so with 32 I believe that's going to come out 32*200=6,400 users max in a best case scenario.

I'm sorry I don't have better news. Even with our most powerful indoor model, we won't come close to your expected client count with that number of APs.

GTM-P2G8KFN