cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classification Tags (Classic) by Assignment Rules (NG ) limitations?

Classification Tags (Classic) by Assignment Rules (NG ) limitations?

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Following on from Luke's helpful post (https://community.aerohive.com/aerohive/topics/hivemanager-ng-device-classificationtags-assignment-rules)

I would like to confirm if there is a limitation when using DNS Server Classification by Location Assignment in NG.

I wish to assign multiple sites to DNSObject1 (default object) and various other sites DNSObject2 by Location Assignment.

The obstacle I notice is it is not possible to add the same DNSObject to the Classification list (allowing repeated DNSObjects in the Classification list). Or to add another Assignment Rule to select another Building object.

For DNS Classification - by Location is the only method, Tags are no longer available.

For User Profile Classification, it does allow the same User Profile to appear multiple times in the list, then each has one assignment to a different building/floor object.

Similarly for VLAN Classification, the same VLAN ID can be applied to multiple Assignment rule lines. Although this uses a VLANID instead of a VLANObject.

Ideally, it would be better to use a single Assignment Rule, which is able to contain multiple Map Buildings/floors. 

Is it possible to allow DNS Classification to function in the same way as User Profile and VLAN classification?

In this particular case DNS1 is Internal DNS servers, DNS2 for classification is External servers.

As this is used for AP Mgt data, both DNS1 and DNS2 need to access external network locations.

We had thought to use a simpler approach for all sites: single DNSObject which has 2 internal DNS servers and 1 external based server. But DNS Classification seems a nice solution. 

Is there a way around this?

Could this be achieved under Basic>DNS Service>New Service?

Thanks

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GeorgiaMason
Contributor II

That's correct, NG does not have device tags like Classic did. I just tried in my manager and I don't think there is a way to do what you're trying to do with classifications. Mainly because, like you stated, you can't repeat the same DNS objects with multiple classification rules. Your original solution might be the best option here.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ashley_finch
Contributor III

Hello,

I believe that device tags were replaced by cloud configuration groups along with assignment rules and it sounds like this should be possible with the options available.

Could you expand on how you'd like to classify which VLAN to use? i.e. are there different VLANs in different locations etc?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

I've just submitted this feature request for you, I'll let you know as I hear anything new. Please feel free to check in with me for status updates.

dal
New Contributor II

Please request this feature.

Yes, I know I can use user profiles, but take Students for example: We use like 30 different subnets and VLANs just for them. What then?

The only we I can see the done right now, is by creating Assignment Rules, but none of the options in there really fit.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

I can submit a feature request on your behalf if you'd like? On premises versions of HiveManager unfortunately do not have that feedback option in the GUI.

As for how to direct clients to VLANs, we do have user profile assignment rules that will direct users on the same SSID to different user profiles (and therefore different VLANs) based on the assignment rules you create. It is not quite the same as tags I understand, but it is the way we classify users to different VLANs in HiveManager currently.

GTM-P2G8KFN