cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients showing a lot of de-authentication

Clients showing a lot of de-authentication

Hans
Contributor

To troubleshoot a connection error at one of our Aerohive AP650 environments we are monitoring some Mac OS X clients. We see a lot of de-authentications because of notification driver messages, followed by the 4 way-handshake and DHCP procedure. The clients has a good RSSI value and associates on the same AP every time. I checked some other environments and see the same behavior. Is this normal? Is this a result of off-channel scanning from the client (sleepmode)?

1 REPLY 1

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

I wouldn't say this is normal, clients should be able to remain authenticated. The notification of driver message just means the client sent a disconnection notification, which is what we'd see with any client disconnection. Since we see a new 4 way handshake we know the client does fully disconnect from the network. Would you be able to enable auth debugs so we can get more detailed logs as to why the client is disconnecting? This guide reviews how to enable auth debugs: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Authentication-Auth-Debugs

If you could enable those debugs, replicate the issue, pull tech data, and send the tech data and the MAC address of the test client you used to replicate to me at communityhelp@aerohive.com, I can review the data and let you know what I find.

I don't think this should be caused by client off-channel scanning, but I can't be sure at this point. Is the client only getting disconnected when it enters sleep mode?

GTM-P2G8KFN