cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connect ap with no network access

connect ap with no network access

kris
New Contributor

i looked around but im not sure im asking it correctly. so im going to try it here.

please help or direct me to the right location as im sure that its a simple thing.

i just moved to a new house and its old and doesnt have cable or network running in it. i had a cable line ran and now have one network connection spot.

my problem is i have a dead spot and want to connect my extra AP.

can someone tell me how i can set it up so that the one AP will get network from the active AP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi Kris,

So typically Mesh is used to bridge a gap between two places, but best practice dictates there be clear line of sight between the two APs.

This is the guide for mesh here in the HiveCommunity: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Mesh-in-NG

Hope this helps, 

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

You'd want one AP that has network access (a hard connection) and one AP that does not. The AP with the network access will be the portal AP, and the one without network access is the remote AP. You can have up to 4 remote APs in a Mesh connection, but be aware that the signal strength is cut in half with each AP in the Mesh chain.

The guide that David gave you goes over how to set up both the portal and remote AP.

kris
New Contributor

thanks you, do i do that on both AP or just one? if just one, do i do it to the main AP or the one that doesnt have network access?

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi Kris,

So typically Mesh is used to bridge a gap between two places, but best practice dictates there be clear line of sight between the two APs.

This is the guide for mesh here in the HiveCommunity: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Mesh-in-NG

Hope this helps, 

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

kris
New Contributor

i have hive NG.

im not sure if mesh is the correct thing but i think it is.

GTM-P2G8KFN