cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Console Commands for Configuring Eth1 in Bridge Mode on an AP230.

Console Commands for Configuring Eth1 in Bridge Mode on an AP230.

foralltheothert
New Contributor

I'm finding it VERY hard to find information about this online, so here I am asking for help.

The Goal: I want to use a wire to plug a computer into Eth1 on the AP and have access to my LAN through Eth0, just like the WiFi interfaces do.

The Backstory: I'm a hobbyist technician who bought a used AP230, likes CLIs, and doesn't ever plan on using any form of HiveManager.

Current Setup: Both wireless antennas are hooked up to Eth0, which is plugged into a POE+ switch. That part works perfectly. I changed Eth1 to "bridge-access" mode using:

interface eth1 mode bridge-access

The Problem: When I plug a computer into Eth1 it recognizes that it's plugged into something, but is assigned a random IP address that is not on my LAN and can't ping anything. I haven't been able to find evidence that any further configuration is necessary, much less how to do said configuration.

Troubleshooting: I've tried plugging the AP into wall power, as some have suggested, but that has no effect (nor did I expect it to.)

The Details:

AH-0d26c0#show interface eth1

Parent interface=none;

Mode=bridge-access; Mac learning= disabled; Admin state=enabled;

WEB server=disable; NAT support=disable; DHCP client=disable; DHCP server=disable; DNS server=disable;

IP addr=0.0.0.0; Netmask=0.0.0.0;

Internal station traffic state=enabled;

Operational state=down; Duplex=unknow; Speed=unknow;

LLDP state=enabled; CDP state=enabled;

Hiveid="hive0"; Vlan=1;

MAC addr=9c5d:120d:26c1; MTU=1500;

Rx packets=0; errors=0; dropped=0;

Tx packets=5; errors=0; dropped=0;

Rx bytes=0 (0 B); Tx bytes=957 (957 B);

AH-0d26c0#show interface eth0

Parent interface=none;

Mode=backhaul; Mac learning= disabled; Admin state=enabled;

WEB server=disable; NAT support=disable; DHCP client=disable; DHCP server=disable; DNS server=disable;

IP addr=0.0.0.0; Netmask=0.0.0.0;

Internal station traffic state=enabled;

Operational state=up; Duplex=full-duplex; Speed=1000Mbps;

LLDP state=enabled; CDP state=enabled;

Hiveid="hive0"; Native-vlan=1;

MAC addr=9c5d:120d:26c0; MTU=1500;

Rx packets=24927942; errors=0; dropped=0;

Tx packets=12495904; errors=0; dropped=0;

Rx bytes=3556043644 (3.312 GB); Tx bytes=2346885137 (2.186 GB);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

foralltheothert
New Contributor

Thank you so much for your reply, Brian. I have it working now! I had stumbled across those reference guides before, but looking around this time I noticed some commands I hadn't before. So what I needed was:

interface eth1 mac-learning enable

I'm guessing this allows the AP to automatically whitelist MAC addresses? At any rate, it would appear all that needs to be done to enable LAN passthrough on eth1 from the CLI is:

I'm sure this would leave a wonderful security hole in a corporate environment, but for my home network I don't care if physical access is total access.

Thanks again, and I hope a pleasant day to you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kdwyer
New Contributor

Hi.

Thank you.

This helped me obtain the same objective. But, if I could piggy back on this.

When I input

The workstation plugged into eth1 receives a vLan1 IP address. How can I have the eth1 port face vlan101, instead ?

Thank you.

show interface eth1

Parent interface=none;Mode=bridge-access; Mac learning= enabled; Admin state=enabled;WEB server=disable; NAT support=disable; DHCP client=disable; DHCP server=disable; DNS server=disable;IP addr=0.0.0.0; Netmask=0.0.0.0;Internal station traffic state=enabled;Operational state=up; Duplex=full-duplex; Speed=1000Mbps;LLDP state=enabled; CDP state=enabled;Hiveid="Hive-Profile-1"; Vlan=1;MAC addr=d854:a24b:efc1; MTU=1500; Rx packets= 124176; errors=0; dropped=9; Tx packets=1011712; errors=0; dropped=0; Rx bytes=14923859 (14.233 MB); Tx bytes=806905310 (769.525 MB);

foralltheothert
New Contributor

Thank you so much for your reply, Brian. I have it working now! I had stumbled across those reference guides before, but looking around this time I noticed some commands I hadn't before. So what I needed was:

I'm guessing this allows the AP to automatically whitelist MAC addresses? At any rate, it would appear all that needs to be done to enable LAN passthrough on eth1 from the CLI is:

I'm sure this would leave a wonderful security hole in a corporate environment, but for my home network I don't care if physical access is total access.

Thanks again, and I hope a pleasant day to you.

bpowers
Contributor

The official response you'll receive is that configuration via CLI is not supported... But in practicality, it is very much possible.

The CLI Reference Guides would be your best stop to find what you're looking for.

http://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/ng/Content/reference/docs/cli-reference-guides.htm

IIRC some form of this command should do what you're looking for:

http://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/documentation/cli_guide_ap230_8-4r10.htm#cmd428

GTM-P2G8KFN