cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant email notifications - AP CONNECTION STATUS HAS CHANGED

Constant email notifications - AP CONNECTION STATUS HAS CHANGED

thommo_41
New Contributor

I am getting emailed throughout the day at the moment, probably 100 times or more, with the same status for each AP we have - AP CONNECTION STATUS HAS CHANGED

As far as I can see, there is no internet connectivity problems, and our firewall has no inspection enabled for the zone that the AP's sit on, so I am not sure where to start. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for that output. Having run this for 300 seconds, we can see that we had 702 incoming LLC packets. Dividing 702 by 300 to get an average packet per second count, we can see that we are getting approximately 2 packets a second. We normally don't see problems until we exceed 30 packets a second or less, so this does not indicate an issue on your network.

The other common cause of that alert is missing echo packets. The HiveManager and APs send echos between themselves to confirm that the AP is still online and responsive to the HiveManager. If an AP misses enough echo packets in a row, the HiveManager will consider it to be offline until it responds to echos again. Usually this is caused by latency in the backend network, or an overload on the AP. If the AP is too busy trying to send client data, the echos will not get a response in the allotted time period, and the AP may (apparently randomly) disconnect from the HiveManager, and reconnect a few minutes later once it has the capacity to respond to echo packets again. You can check for this by looking at your buffered log in the tech data and searching for "echo". If you see any failure messages with these echo packets, then you can confirm this is the cause for the alerts you are seeing.

If you'd like help reading the buffered log, please feel free to email the tech data file to me at communityhelp@aerohive.com.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for that output. Having run this for 300 seconds, we can see that we had 702 incoming LLC packets. Dividing 702 by 300 to get an average packet per second count, we can see that we are getting approximately 2 packets a second. We normally don't see problems until we exceed 30 packets a second or less, so this does not indicate an issue on your network.

The other common cause of that alert is missing echo packets. The HiveManager and APs send echos between themselves to confirm that the AP is still online and responsive to the HiveManager. If an AP misses enough echo packets in a row, the HiveManager will consider it to be offline until it responds to echos again. Usually this is caused by latency in the backend network, or an overload on the AP. If the AP is too busy trying to send client data, the echos will not get a response in the allotted time period, and the AP may (apparently randomly) disconnect from the HiveManager, and reconnect a few minutes later once it has the capacity to respond to echo packets again. You can check for this by looking at your buffered log in the tech data and searching for "echo". If you see any failure messages with these echo packets, then you can confirm this is the cause for the alerts you are seeing.

If you'd like help reading the buffered log, please feel free to email the tech data file to me at communityhelp@aerohive.com.

thommo_41
New Contributor

Thank you for the prompt response. Much appreciated. I am not concerned with the odd email coming through, but it can't be healthy having these constantly throughout the day, every day!

Ran the commands on one of our AP's, thanks in advance for your comments...

Interface [eth0]

-----------------

Inocming Counters

------------------------------

LLC: 702; ARP: 53; IP 1766

ICMP: 90; UDP: 287; TCP: 1362; GRE: 0; ESP: 0

HTTP: 0; HTTPS: 0; FTP: 0; TELNET: 0; DNS: 0; DHCP: 1; SSH: 55

Dropped: 341

Outgoing Counters

------------------------------

LLC: 417; ARP: 11; IP 1679

ICMP: 91; UDP: 254; TCP: 1326; GRE: 0; ESP: 0

HTTP: 24; HTTPS: 876; FTP: 0; TELNET: 0; DNS: 3; DHCP: 0; SSH: 0

dsouri
Contributor III

Hello,

This may be due to latency between APs and Hivemanager while establishing CAPWAP.

Sometimes this can be evident in a network when Multicast/Broadcast are at peak.

SSH into one of the APs, have a timer ready to count 300 seconds when you run this command:

clear forward count int eth0

After 300 seconds, run this command:

show forward count int eth0

--I would be happy to review the results if you post them here.

Hope this helps, 

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

GTM-P2G8KFN