cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the management vlan selection have any impact on cloud management / HiveManager?

Does the management vlan selection have any impact on cloud management / HiveManager?

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Does the management vlan selection have any impact on cloud management / HiveManager? In other words if changing vlan assignment on a switch port (say vlan1 to vlan20) but keeping the IP network the same (switching the IP on the SVIs from vlan1 to vlan20).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

You do need to specify a management VLAN, that isn't something we can leave blank. Yes, the AP will still work if you have a different management VLAN and Native VLAN, so long as both are supported through the backend. I'm not sure what you mean by "change the management vlan to 20 prior to moving off vlan1", I would just recommend setting the VLAN you want it to use and then pushing that out to the AP once your backend switches are ready to support the new VLAN.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

You do need to specify a management VLAN, that isn't something we can leave blank. Yes, the AP will still work if you have a different management VLAN and Native VLAN, so long as both are supported through the backend. I'm not sure what you mean by "change the management vlan to 20 prior to moving off vlan1", I would just recommend setting the VLAN you want it to use and then pushing that out to the AP once your backend switches are ready to support the new VLAN.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II
To Sam,

I thought I would try the reply to this email vs. another post. I am not sure if I should open a support case to be more interactive in what I am trying to do with the setup I have.
The network, from end to end, is setup on vlan 1. I am segmenting it per site, off vlan1.
There is no management vlan per se. Do I need to specify a management vlan? (appears so – no disabling that option - which would be nice to have that option) If so it will be the new assigned vlan. In this sites case vlan 20.
Will the VA cloud management and the AP communicate with the management vlan set to vlan 1 if the IP address of the AP is part of vlan 20? This is the question I am grappling with and wanted to just test out.
Do I need to change the management vlan to 20 prior to moving off vlan1? The IP address of the AP will not change.

Thanks

John Krumenacher

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

That should be fine so long as the management VLAN is still active on your backend, the AP wouldn't need to pull client IP addresses from the management network. The AP will still need a DHCP server on the native VLAN so it can pull an IP address too, but that doesn't need to match the management VLAN.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Sam, I was planning on running thought the procedure in a lab environment, but that is proving to be a little more difficult than expected. What I wanted to prove out is that if I leave MGT Interface VLAN to 1 and change vlan 1 to no ipaddress, move the existing ipaddress to vlan 20 the AP will still be accessible to cloud management, following the best order stated above. Can you confirm that I will have access to the AP from the cloud if I follow the procedure above?

I can change the MGT Interface VLAN prior to the layer 3 change. Just want to verify your best order.

Thanks

GTM-P2G8KFN