cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with MAC's moving around in School

Problem with MAC's moving around in School

jan_boje
New Contributor

We have about 4000 student using a Macbook Pro, Macbook Air. About 10% of those have problem when they change classroom. the Mac's is still connecting to the classroom they come from.

We have set "radio and rates" on 5.0 GHz to basic 24Mbps and up.

Our solution is to disable wireless og the client and on again.

Can we do anything to impove this in our configuration, radio profiles or ??

Our accesspoint is AP250 and AP370 with Hivemanager Classic.

Jan Boje

17 REPLIES 17

jan_boje
New Contributor

Hi Brian

I have ​been into tree classroom and I have taken a screenshot of the wirelees activity.

As you can see, the accesspoint in the classroom is the "strongest" one.

The student is not complaining, when they are connected to the wireless. They are complaining over the time it takes to connect/reconnect, we are talking up to 120 sek.

The problem exist when they start in the morning and when they move to a new Classroom.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

An analyze software would show this. Adrians Wifi Explorer shows it - https://www.adriangranados.com but it's not a free product. If you have an iPhone, you can download Apples Airport Utility -  AirPort Utility on the App Store - iTunes - Applehttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airport-utility/id427276530?mt=8 - and enable it to do passive scans of WLANs and see how the iPhone sees the differences.

jan_boje
New Contributor

Hi Brian

I am very busy this week, so I will be back next week with a map. Is there an easy way to see the "dB" difference between AP's in classroom.​

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Jan,

What does your AP deployment look like? Able to share a map that shows AP locations? Do you see 8-12 dB difference between APs in classrooms? As that's one of the criteria for an OS X device to roam outside of it crossing the ~-70 dBm threshold for RSSI for the currently associated BSSID.

GTM-P2G8KFN