cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guest Tunnelling on Extreme IQ Engine access points

Guest Tunnelling on Extreme IQ Engine access points

souris
New Contributor

I have been successfully using GRE tunnels on my HiveManager Classic account to segregate my guest WiFi traffic from my corporate network using the "Identity-Based Traffic Tunneling" by terminating and sending all guest traffic through an AP330.

However because the AP330 is no longer supported I want to replace the AP330 with a device that is still able to terminate the GRE tunnels. At the same time I want to migrate my existing wireless estate of AP130's onto ExtremeCloud IQ.

The migration to ExtremeCloud IQ looks relatively simple but I need to understand, and be confident that the GRE tunneling feature, is supported on ExtremeCloud IQ and if so what device do I need to on-board to support the tunel termination feature.

------------------------------
JohnF
JohnF
3 REPLIES 3

RyanM
Extreme Employee
Hi John, you can terminate GRE tunnels to any IQEngine device that can be managed by XIQ. You can also terminate GRE tunnels to non-Extreme Networks tunnel endpoints with the "Standard GRE Tunneling" feature available in XIQ. Though the non-Extreme Networks devices must be configured separately. You should find that configuring GRE tunnels in XIQ is very similar to the way they were configured in HiveManager Classic. Everything is still configured in the User Profile the way it was in HiveManager Classic.
Ryan Mundell Technical Support Engineer / Extreme Networks

souris
New Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for getting back to me I was beginning to think no-one cared anymore...

Been a while since I used HiveManager/ ExtremeIQ but it's starting to come back to me. The key element I was concerned with was previously only certain AP's in the Aerohive portfolio could act as GRE tunnel terminators so I needed to confirm which model I should be using to support like for like in the ExtremeCloudIQ portfolio. Based on what you said and the fact that there are only a small number of tunnel initiators (less than twenty)  I assume an AP305C would be up for the job of tunnel terminator?

Regards

John

JohnF

RyanM
Extreme Employee
Hi John,
No problem. Yeah, an AP305C would work for that. It is certainly a lot more capable than the old 330s.

Ryan Mundell
Technical Support Engineer / Extreme Networks
Ryan Mundell Technical Support Engineer / Extreme Networks
GTM-P2G8KFN