Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden SSID not allowing me to connect.

Hidden SSID not allowing me to connect.

david_wood
New Contributor

Hi All

I have recently set up a new SSID on our network. It takes advance of the guest access process of creating a password that expires after 24 hours. It works great when the SSID is visible but when I hide it the password no longer works.

The first time you enter the password is appears visible. When you click next the window jumps but doesn't go aware. If you enter it again this time the password will be hidden and a connection message appears asking you want to make your connection discoverable. After clicking yes the connection fails.

Please see photos for further details.

If anyone's got any pointers that would be great.

Thanks,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

David,

Windows is asking for the SSID name you want to connect to, but my guess is that you are entering the key (xik...), not the SSID. That won't work.

Best way to connect to a hidden SSID is to make it visible first, connect to it, enter your key, and you are done.

Second best way is to NOT connect to it at first, but to "add a new wireless connection" in Windows. You then specify the SSID name, encryption type (WPA2-PSK), and your key. THEN you search for your (hidden) SSID. It should show up with its name then, because it's now known by your client.

NOW... the question is: Why would you want to hide an SSID in the first place? Especially if it seams to be for guest accounts?? There is no added security through hiding an SSID, and in most cases you get more problems than benefits. The only reason would be to not confuse other users, which can normally be solved by giving it a name that is totally unrelated to any of your other SSIDs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

David,

Windows is asking for the SSID name you want to connect to, but my guess is that you are entering the key (xik...), not the SSID. That won't work.

Best way to connect to a hidden SSID is to make it visible first, connect to it, enter your key, and you are done.

Second best way is to NOT connect to it at first, but to "add a new wireless connection" in Windows. You then specify the SSID name, encryption type (WPA2-PSK), and your key. THEN you search for your (hidden) SSID. It should show up with its name then, because it's now known by your client.

NOW... the question is: Why would you want to hide an SSID in the first place? Especially if it seams to be for guest accounts?? There is no added security through hiding an SSID, and in most cases you get more problems than benefits. The only reason would be to not confuse other users, which can normally be solved by giving it a name that is totally unrelated to any of your other SSIDs.

GTM-P2G8KFN