Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HiveManager and background scan options

HiveManager and background scan options

sderikonja1
Contributor

Skip Background Scan When: Select from the following options:

Option 1

Clients are connected: Clear to prevent an AP with connected clients from scanning channels. Disabled by default.

Option 2

Connected clients are in power save mode: Select to allow an AP to scan channels when connected clients are in power save mode. You might want to disable this option if some clients (for example, MacBook 10.4.11), are experiencing intermittent connection issues when in power save mode. Enabled by default.

Option 3

Network traffic with voice priority is detected: Select to prevent an AP from performing a background scan when voice traffic is detected. Voice traffic takes priority and is the least forgiving of slow or degraded connections. Enabled by default.

Option 1 if cleared it would enable background scanning if clients connected.

Option 2 If selected it would disable background scanning when clients in power-save mode

Option 3 if selected it would disable background scanning when voice traffic detected.

When all three options are selected the config delta looks like this

no radio profile Profile_Name scan access voice

no radio profile Profile_Name scan access client

no radio profile Profile_Name scan access client power-save

Only Option 3 is correct.

8 REPLIES 8

sderikonja1
Contributor

Thanks Sam.

Updating the help file to reflect actual config would be a good start. I say it is up to Aerohive to determine whether wording should match that of Classic and the basis should be the current number of deployments of NG vs Classic. If there is still a significant number of Classic deployments that eventually will have to move to the new platform, then change should be made.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. We will get that help file updated to reflect the differences in the GUIs. As for why there are differences between the two platforms, I can understand how this is frustrating, especially when the help guide doesn't reflect the differences accurately at times. Since NG is cloud hosted where Classic was not, we had to build from the ground up with NG. Some decisions were made for differences in function rather than aiming for exact parity; partly for innovation, and partly because exact parity was not possible in all areas. In this example of course, it was a choice we made to vary the language. If you'd like, I can submit a request to have this reversed to match the language used in Classic?

sderikonja1
Contributor

@Brian Powers​  Thank you! I was going to get to difference to HM Classic version of the same feature because HM NG help seems to have been copied from HM Classic help while the options have changed. Ultimately the question is why not preserve parity between Classic and NG?

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

I believe Sinisa is simply stating that the verbiage in the help file is backwards.

Skip Background Scan When: Select from the following options:

Clients are connected: Clear to prevent an AP with connected clients from scanning channels. Disabled by default.

Connected clients are in power save mode: Select to allow an AP to scan channels when connected clients are in power save mode. You might want to disable this option if some clients (for example, MacBook 10.4.11), are experiencing intermittent connection issues when in power save mode. Enabled by default.

Network traffic with voice priority is detected: Select to prevent an AP from performing a background scan when voice traffic is detected. Voice traffic takes priority and is the least forgiving of slow or degraded connections. Enabled by default.

It says uncheck/clear the "Clients are connected" checkbox to PREVENT an AP w/connected clients from going off channel to scan. But the way the GUI states it, you'd want to check the box to prevent it from doing off channel scanning.

Same for the "Connected clients are in power save mode". The help file says to select (meaning check the box) to allow an AP to do off channel scanning.

And for "Network traffic w/voice priority is detected" the help file said to select to PREVENT the AP from off channel scanning which is accurate.

Basically the help file wordage doesn't line up with the new verbiage in HM NG since the section is now "Skip Background Scan When" - assuming to skip when the check boxes ARE checked.

In HM Classic the background scanning is done unless the boxes are UNCHECKED.

I think at least that's the point of the post...

GTM-P2G8KFN