cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HiveOS objects in Hivemanager (NG) are missing entries that we had in HM Classic

HiveOS objects in Hivemanager (NG) are missing entries that we had in HM Classic

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

With Classic we were able to use client classification rules with OS objects such as Gaming Consoles (Xbox, Playstation, Wii, ...) and Home Audio/Video Equipment (Slingbox, Apple TV, Amonos IPTV, ...).

In Hivemanager (NG) I do not see those objects anymore. We only have: Windows, Windows Phone, Mac OS, iPad, iPhone, iOS Device, Android, Symbian, Blackberry and Chrome.

Also, when trying to add a new OS Object, I do not see all OS Types as with Classic (Playstation, Xbox, ....).

Is there any easy way to add those missing definitions? Or, are there plans to extend this list with a future upgrade? (We need it for the Hivemanager VA...)

carsten

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

For the record: As per Tier III Support, the limited visibility of OS objects is per design.

Carsten,

I think we have provided you with an incorrect information. This is not a bug. By default NG only includes: Windows, Windows Phone, Mac OS, iPad, iPhone, iOS Device, Android, Symbian, Blackberry, Chrome as mentioned in the help.

https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/ng/Content/gui/configuration/viewing-os-object-list.htm

You will need to create a custom object for this requirement.

Carsten,

HM receives the information from the AP that recognises the OS.

This a sample of an Apple iOS that is detected by the AP.

2018-09-06 21:54:31 info ah_auth: aaa: detect station(4083:1d3c:ab10) os(Apple iOS) via DHCP fingerprint

2018-09-06 21:54:30 info kernel: [qos]: add qos user 4083:1d3c:ab10 idx 171 uppid 6

2018-09-06 21:54:30 info ah_auth: aaa: detect station(4083:1d3c:ab10) os(Apple iOS) via DHCP fingerprint

2018-09-06 21:54:30 info ah_auth: aaa: ah_auth_update_sta_os: sta(4083:1d3c:ab10) os(Apple iOS)

You may discuss any new enhancement with our rep SE who will then discuss it with PLM .

Carsten,

When a station is joining the SSID, you can actually run _debug auth dhcp_fp on the AP in order to see the option 55 parameters.

I am closing this case now. As discussed before you may approach our SE in order to discuss the enhancement.

Thank you for contacting Aerohive Technical Support.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

For the record: As per Tier III Support, the limited visibility of OS objects is per design.

Carsten,

I think we have provided you with an incorrect information. This is not a bug. By default NG only includes: Windows, Windows Phone, Mac OS, iPad, iPhone, iOS Device, Android, Symbian, Blackberry, Chrome as mentioned in the help.

https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/ng/Content/gui/configuration/viewing-os-object-list.htm

You will need to create a custom object for this requirement.

Carsten,

HM receives the information from the AP that recognises the OS.

This a sample of an Apple iOS that is detected by the AP.

2018-09-06 21:54:31 info ah_auth: aaa: detect station(4083:1d3c:ab10) os(Apple iOS) via DHCP fingerprint

2018-09-06 21:54:30 info kernel: [qos]: add qos user 4083:1d3c:ab10 idx 171 uppid 6

2018-09-06 21:54:30 info ah_auth: aaa: detect station(4083:1d3c:ab10) os(Apple iOS) via DHCP fingerprint

2018-09-06 21:54:30 info ah_auth: aaa: ah_auth_update_sta_os: sta(4083:1d3c:ab10) os(Apple iOS)

You may discuss any new enhancement with our rep SE who will then discuss it with PLM .

Carsten,

When a station is joining the SSID, you can actually run _debug auth dhcp_fp on the AP in order to see the option 55 parameters.

I am closing this case now. As discussed before you may approach our SE in order to discuss the enhancement.

Thank you for contacting Aerohive Technical Support.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Thanks Sam, I just send you the case id via direct message.

If you can think of anything else you'd like to see added in, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Ha! That's a dangerous request  I'll send you another PM with a long list....

carsten

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for your patience, I confirmed with our Tier 3 team that if the HiveManager recognizes an OS object it should be in the OS object list. We'd want to open a case for this so we can bring it up to our engineering team, would you be able to open a case with us? If you can let me know the case number, I can take ownership of the case and personally make sure it gets to the right place for you.

Also, I will submit a feature request for the unknown classification options to be added to HiveManager. If you can think of anything else you'd like to see added in, please don't hesitate to let me know.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Thanks Sam!

Two further observations:

• In Classic, when an OS object was not yet known to the HM, it was marked as unknown and that was a clickable link, to add it straight with the recognized parameters to the internal DB. Would be great if we could have this in Hivemanager again...
  • What is odd: When I go to Monitor and list all clients, or go to Dashboard / Wifi Clients by OS, I do see some classified as Playstation 2 etc. But nowhere under OS objects and OS type those are listed...

carsten

GTM-P2G8KFN