cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you get AP's to try DFS channels?

How can you get AP's to try DFS channels?

jwade2
New Contributor

We have a complicated building with lots of overlap between AP's and would like to have the AP's try DFS channels to prevent interference. (There just aren't enough channels without DFS) We have "Dynamic Frequency Selection configured on the 5Ghz Radios, but the AP's have never chosen a DFS channel. Is there anyway to kick it to make it switch? We are uisng 630's and 650's

7 REPLIES 7

jwade2
New Contributor

Hmm, I ssh'd into the AP and saw that even though DFS was enabled in hive manager, it was disabled on the radio profile on the AP. I made a change to the DFS setting "Enable manual channel selection return" and uploaded the Network policy and amazingly DFS switched to enabled. Still can't set the channel manually to a DFS channel via hivemanager, but I was able to set it via the console, and other AP's we pushed the policy to selected DFS channels after the radio reboot that occurred from the policy change.

I think my problem is solved, now we will have to see if any of the DFS channels are in use in the area by radars or emergency services. Hopefully we won't get kicked off, because without them, I have massive interference problems.

jwade2
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Interestingly, the AP will not even let you set the DFS Channels manually. (It only shows the non-DFS channels and "Auto". ) Must be missing something or maybe this requires a reboot of the AP. Still waiting on Aerohive support to answer this.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

You can set the channel manually in the device specific settings, but other than a full reboot of the device, if the device is set to auto channel selection, there isn't a way to ask it to choose a different one. If an emergency signal needs one of those DFS channels, it will move the AP to a different channel, just something to keep in mind.

GTM-P2G8KFN