cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you override the maximum users allowed per PPSK in the settings for the Users Group.

How can you override the maximum users allowed per PPSK in the settings for the Users Group.

rladoucer
New Contributor

I'm trying to create a PPSK Wireless network that would allow for 2 different user groups. One group would be limited to only one device at a time per PPSK and another group would be allowed multiple devices at a time for the same key. When creating the Wireless network, it gives me the option to set the maximum number of clients per PPSK but it also says above it in italics, "This setting is overridden by the setting in the User Group." . I don't see anywhere in the User Group settings where I can specify a different limit for clients per PPSK.

My scenario is this. We have a specific Vlan that offers additional access to the internet and doesn't require local certificates in order to traverse our content filter. I wanted to have a PPSK network that would allow 2 groups, our normal clients that require this access on a more permanent basis limited to just one at a time access per PPSK. But if we have a large group of visitors, I would like to be able to create a key with ability to connect several devices to accommodate the group and remove the user once the visitors have gone. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

That message warning about overlapping user group settings is a remnant of an old work flow that had this setting in the user group as well. The only place we can currently limit the number of client devices per PPSK would be at the SSID level, so you'd want to split these two groups of users (internal and visitors) in to two different SSIDs to accomplish your end goals.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

I've just verified this feature with HiveOS 8.4r9a and now it works!

In the user group you can set the maximum number of clients

rladoucer
New Contributor

Thank you for your response. I wanted to verify that was the case and I wasn't missing some hidden setting somewhere in the User Groups.  I think what I will do is take advantage of the ability to bulk create the PPSK for groups of visitors and let the host of the visitors take care of distributing to them. Then just delete the temporary users once they are no longer needed. Most of these groups will be small enough to manage in this way. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

That message warning about overlapping user group settings is a remnant of an old work flow that had this setting in the user group as well. The only place we can currently limit the number of client devices per PPSK would be at the SSID level, so you'd want to split these two groups of users (internal and visitors) in to two different SSIDs to accomplish your end goals.

GTM-P2G8KFN