cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I bulk add devices and assign names to each device?

dlong1
New Contributor
17 REPLIES 17

weekdaysailor
Contributor

I'm going to recommend you open a support ticket - none of this sounds like intended behavior.

dennisph
New Contributor III

Derek, I reread the help link and it concerns me. It looks to me like you can only input the serial number and the model. On top that your telling me we can't even get this to work. I am going to look at this some more because personally I need to be able the add serial, hostname, and static ip address information in bulk. I usually add 100 or more devices at a time and static IP address all of them. There is no way I want to do this one device at a time.

dlong1
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion Dennis. I forgot to mention that I tried that before posting my question here. It did not work and that kind of makes sense to me because there were a lot of fields in the export that would be irrelevant to on boarding a new device. The only thing I've been able to get working is to list a singe field with serial numbers in the csv. When ever I add another field it fails. Even if I add the model number in the second field like it says in the link I listed above, it fails. I've tried many combinations including all the suggestions here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/aerohive/topics/hm-ng-add-aps-with-csv-file-format

I'm not sure what else to try next. I'll keep digging.

dennisph
New Contributor III

Derek, I would try to see if you could do a .csv export of a device already in Hivemananger to get the formatting correct. The link Keith shared it similar to how I bulk added devices on classic except for I think they added a field for SDR in 8.2r2. I was trying to do and export myself of one device but, I don't think that is an option I selected one device and hit the download button and it is taking forever. I also have 6,600 devices so I don't know what I am going to get. I am interested to figure this out as well because if I ever move to Hivemanager online I will be bulk adding many devices as I replace them.

dlong1
New Contributor

Thanks Keith, that is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work anymore. I know it worked a few years ago. I think this link may be a more recent version of the documentation for adding devices via csv.

http://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/ng/Content/gui/devices/viewing-the-device-list.htm...

Since there are no dates on the documentation it is impossible to tell which one is more recent. If the link I listed is correct, it doesn't seem like it is possible to set the hostname or any other settings anymore when adding new devices. It seems to only add the device to the system now. All of the other settings can be taken care of via Network Policy and Device Profiles, but I can't figure out how to name the devices without going into each device and manually changing the name of each. That's not a very good option when you have hundreds of APs to deal with. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

GTM-P2G8KFN