cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I lower the Wifi0 radio power on the AP250 to lower than 10?

How do I lower the Wifi0 radio power on the AP250 to lower than 10?

ewejin_yeap
New Contributor

I'm trying to lower the Wifi0 radio power on the AP250 but it could only go as low as 10.

My settings for Wifi0 are

Supported Radio Modes: g/n

Maximum Transmit Power: 10 dBm

Transmission Power Floor: 5 dBm

Transmission Power Max Drop: 5 dBm

Maximum Number of Clients: 100

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Not quite, I'm saying if you want the power to be auto then the lowest max power we can set is 10. That does not mean the AP can't use a power level lower than 10 when using auto power, it just means that the max the AP could choose to broadcast can't be lower than 10. Auto power settings mean giving the AP a range to choose from, and the range can't start any lower than 10dBm.

To answer your other questions:

1. Correct, the manual power setting will override the auto power settings in the Radio Profile.
  2. You can turn off background scanning, but I wouldn't recommend it. It does more than adjust the power and channel settings if those are set to auto, it also populates quite a bit of data in the buffered logs and GUI reports.
  3. Delta updates won't interrupt users at all. The AP won't reboot or stop passing traffic so the users will not be interrupted.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

ewejin_yeap
New Contributor

I've been told that you have been added as an operator. Let me know if you've managed to get in.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Of course, no changes will be made without express, prior approval. Thank you for working on getting me access. Please also let me know the Organization Name found in Global Settings> Account Details, so I can be sure to look at the correct VHM instance.

ewejin_yeap
New Contributor

I only have Operator access as the this HM is being managed by our partner. I will try to get your login added to the particular site.

Please be careful. Do not modify or apply anything. I've had instances where applying settings to AP's caused the AP's to not be able to check in. You'll notice some system core dumps in the logs.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for those details, I replicated your setup in our lab with an AP250 and I was able to get the power to 5dBm. Would you be able to add me as an external user to your HiveManager account with the email slynn@aerohive.com so I can take a look at your configuration and make sure I've matched everything properly?

GTM-P2G8KFN