cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is "DHCP Availability" calculated in the Service Health window of Network 360 > Monitor View?

How is "DHCP Availability" calculated in the Service Health window of Network 360 > Monitor View?

mbarff
New Contributor

We have two on-premise servers that provide both DHCP and DNS services to our internal network. In Services Health, they both show as 100% availability.

However, in some instances the ms of DHCP are in the 7 - 15 minute range, whereas DNS is typically a few ms.

One would assume that such a high dhcp lease time would be pretty evident; but we are not hearing reports of this from the clients.

So does anyone know who that availability is calculated?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for your patience while we looked in to this for you. The DHCP time shown is the response time rather than the lease time. For DHCP, we track the DHCP request and response and then we calculate how long it takes for the client to get an IP address. DNS time is different. For DNS we are pinging the DNS server to track the round trip delay. With your DHCP response time in the 7-15 minutes range, I'd like to get a packet capture so we can get a deeper look in to the DHCP handshake. This guide reviews how to set up and run a packet capture in HiveManager: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Packet-Capture-in-NG

If you could email this to me at communityhelp@aerohive.com, I can take a look and let you know what we see. While the packet capture is running, we'll want to have a test client connect and obtain a new IP a couple of times so we can see this traffic in the capture. Please also include the MAC address of the test client you are using so I can be sure to look at the correct traffic in the capture.

GTM-P2G8KFN