cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup MESH with AP230's in extremecloudiq.com

How to setup MESH with AP230's in extremecloudiq.com

nnyan_tengwar
New Contributor

So I purchased 4 AP230's and after some a number of attempts just to get them all to show up and then to upgrade (constant failures I just kept trying and eventually they upgraded) I have all three updated to IQ Engine 10.0.r8. If I get them connected to my PoE switch I get them connected (green) but when I have backhaul setup on the 5 Ghz (tried it with just that and backhaul turned on 2.4 and 5.0ghz) and switch them to PoE power off the switch they don't connect. I'm not sure 1. How to get mesh working on these. Only thing i've really done is turn on backhaul on all three (one is directly connected to the switch the other two are not) 2. how to confirm that mesh is working and which AP they are meshed with.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance as the mesh articles I found were about other controller/ap types.

Thank yhou

3 REPLIES 3

nnyan_tengwar
New Contributor

the only thing that I noticed that I had not done was make sure they were on the same channel. I changed all the channels on the 5ghz radio to 165 and backhaul and client access was on for all three. I still can't get this to mesh and i noticed that they are all in Portal mode.

nnyan_tengwar
New Contributor

Thank you for that info, I'll check it out. I mean that I have a PoE switch that I connected all the AP's to so that they were all in the same room. Got them updated and green. I then moved two of them to the locations I want to deploy them at and connected them to PoE injectors and they would stay orange/amber and shown as not connected in the portal.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

This guide reviews how to set up Mesh in ExtremeCloud IQ (formerly HiveManager NG). The pictures are a bit outdated, but the main difference should just be that the Monitor tab is now the Manage tab, and when you click on the hostname of the AP to get to the device specific settings, you'll want to click on Configure on the left hand side menu to see the interface setting options: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Mesh-in-NG

Could you clarify something for me, when you switch the APs to POE power via the switch, what are you switching them from? I'd recommend keeping both the portal AP and the remote AP connected to POE power during configuration, then switching the remote AP to a different power source in the same room as the portal AP to get the Mesh connection established (the guide I linked reviews how to determine if the Mesh connection is established), then deploying the remote AP to it's assigned location.

GTM-P2G8KFN