cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In HMNG, how do configure APs, to ensure that traffic on 1 SSID goes into seperate vlans, depending on which AP the client connects to. How do you achieve this with cloud configuration groups or classification rules? The client wants 1 user profile o

In HMNG, how do configure APs, to ensure that traffic on 1 SSID goes into seperate vlans, depending on which AP the client connects to. How do you achieve this with cloud configuration groups or classification rules? The client wants 1 user profile o

zaheeds
New Contributor

The client wants only 1 user profile, using PSK (not PPSK) and seperate VLANs per block. This is in a school environment.

3 REPLIES 3

zaheeds
New Contributor

Hi Ashley, thanks for showing me the way. 

Following your advice, this is what I did to overcome my problem (of using 1 userID on 1 SSID and connecting to different buildings' vlans)...

1-created several Cloud Config Groups (CCG) named according to old devices tags - logically grouping AP's according to switch cabinets

2-created classification rules (named according to old devices tags) - added (matched) each CCG according to the Classification Rule name

3-created a user profile with a new VLAN (using a fake vlan id - it does not exist on the network)

3.1 -under this vlan - created new vlans, matching them to appropriate Classification Rules

3.2 -saved the vlan,updated AP's, logged onto the SSID and walked the campus - running ping -t and ipconfig to check ip address changes

Confirmed that device successfully connected to vlans(ip address range) in different buildings using the same user profile on 1 SSID.

Thank you!

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you again Ashley, you are correct. My apologies, they added classification rules to the VLAN sub menu since last I looked. Looks like you can classify based on location, cloud config group, IP address, or IP subnet.

So Zaheed, if you can separate your clients based on one of those criteria, you should be able to classify using one SSID and one user profile. Sorry for the confusion. If you can separate based on location, I might recommend using the cloud configuration groups to classify APs in to a particular group and apply settings for the APs and their clients based on the group they are in.

ashley_finch
Contributor III

Sam, I think it may be possible by doing the following:

Go into the user profile > edit VLAN > Tick 'Apply VLANs to devices using classification' > add VLANs you need and apply a classification rule which I presume would be a location in this instance

GTM-P2G8KFN