cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Aerohive for small users?

Is Aerohive for small users?

krkeec
New Contributor

I recently bought AP 130 and I was planing it to use it for rental wifi for my guests.

I am not representing any company I am "small guy" who want to use PPSK for my rental. I will have only one ap and at worst scenario 15 active users. The reason I bought this AP (which wasn't cheap) is that I liked PPSK technology and I wanted to replace my hotspot with PPSK (I am not chargeing internet) but Hivemanager NG fee per year is way too much for me because I am not enterprise.

Is there any another way to configure ap with PPSK ?

In their web, they mentioned flexibility and scalability. Is there a way to flex a bit for a small user like me?

Please help!

Thanks in advance

Krešimir Kukec

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GeorgiaMason
Contributor II

There is a free manager called Connect, so you'd only have to bare the cost of the AP when you buy it originally, but it doesn't support PPSK. If you use Connect, your SSID options are: open (no password), PSK (one password), or external Radius (that you'd have to have set up on your own server, probably not something you're interested in, but this would give every user their own username and password).

If you are renting a space out and you want to use Connect, PSK should work for you. Everyone will share a password, but it doesn't require an external server and is still secure.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Just had a quick look at Connect features. Maybe an open SSID with Cloud CWP and Social Login (Facebook, Google, LinkedIn) could fit your bill?

a82ff1a734e5445d9d00c919714aaded_0690c000006V6LjAAK.png

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

PPSK is a proprietary and "Enterprise grade" feature that distinguishes Aerohive from other solutions - they will never include this in "Connect" (although I'd love them doing this ;-)).

AP130 and NG Connect are still a great combination for small environments. If you can live without PPSK, it should serve you well!

Explore NG Connect and the available Guest-Account features a bit, it's likely that this fits your needs as well.

GeorgiaMason
Contributor II

There is a free manager called Connect, so you'd only have to bare the cost of the AP when you buy it originally, but it doesn't support PPSK. If you use Connect, your SSID options are: open (no password), PSK (one password), or external Radius (that you'd have to have set up on your own server, probably not something you're interested in, but this would give every user their own username and password).

If you are renting a space out and you want to use Connect, PSK should work for you. Everyone will share a password, but it doesn't require an external server and is still secure.

GTM-P2G8KFN