cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to configure existing AP's to pass information as i expect? See details:

Is there a way to configure existing AP's to pass information as i expect? See details:

tarnold
New Contributor

Basically i have an AP that i connect to with a specific SSID.

When i connect it or a router on my network passed out a 10.1.23.X.

Then I am also able to ping or login into anything i need across my network (10.1.5.1, 10.1.20.1, 10.1.23.1, 10.1.30.1; It does not matter i can access all of those vlans)

I would like to be able to connect to the AP with a static IP (10.1.5.x) and still be able to get the behavior i describe above. However in my testing below this is not the case. Are there settings in the AP or router than i can change to make this static IP behavior work just like the above?

Testing with connection to SSID WLAN-MDM

·        (DHCP)Laptop -> Direct wifi to SSID WLAN-MDM

o  Leave laptop open for DHCP assignment (DHCP assigned a 10.1.23.54)

o  Allows ping to all vlans

·        (STATIC-10.1.23.150) Laptop -> Direct wifi to SSID WLAN-MDM

o  Change laptop to static IP with similar settings

o  Allows ping to all vlans

·        (STATIC-10.1.5.74) Laptop -> Direct wifi to SSID WLAN-MDM

o  Change laptop to static IP with similar settings

o  Cannot ping 10.1.23.1 (request timed out)

o  Cannot ping 10.1.5.1 (destination host unreachable)

o  Change to 10.1.5.1 gateway

o  Cannot ping 10.1.23.1 or 5.1 (request timed out)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsouri
Contributor III

The additional factor I would say is important, is that the AP may be tagging your Client Device's traffic with the vLAN assigned in whichever User-Profile the client device is associating with when using the SSID in question.

If that is the case, changing the IP statically would mean the AP is trying to tag that device traffic as Some vLAN that is not the appropriate vLAN or isn't allowed at all upstream.

Ultimately, since the AP will Tag (as instructed) and pass upstream (as allowed), this may be a case of having to make sure there are possible routes to whichever gateway needed. Additionally confirming the back-end vLANs are configured correctly from end to end.

I know this was quite broad, but there are many variables that would have to be factored in before providing a more direct/specific answer. I wouldn't want to send you down the wrong path.

Happy to assist,

David Souri

Community Moderator

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

tarnold
New Contributor

No i greatly appreciate this information as we are trying to get a setup working, and currently having issues. Anything we can investigate further helps us get to the end goal of issue resolution, and everyone is happy . I will likely follow up Monday with my findings!

dsouri
Contributor III

The additional factor I would say is important, is that the AP may be tagging your Client Device's traffic with the vLAN assigned in whichever User-Profile the client device is associating with when using the SSID in question.

If that is the case, changing the IP statically would mean the AP is trying to tag that device traffic as Some vLAN that is not the appropriate vLAN or isn't allowed at all upstream.

Ultimately, since the AP will Tag (as instructed) and pass upstream (as allowed), this may be a case of having to make sure there are possible routes to whichever gateway needed. Additionally confirming the back-end vLANs are configured correctly from end to end.

I know this was quite broad, but there are many variables that would have to be factored in before providing a more direct/specific answer. I wouldn't want to send you down the wrong path.

Happy to assist,

David Souri

Community Moderator

tarnold
New Contributor

@David Souri​  I am meeting with my IT guy on Monday. This will be very useful and discussing with him the different things i can check to get this connection to behave as expected.

Any additional items i should discuss with them when i talk to them, or approach with the items mentioned above.

I appreciate the help thus far!

dsouri
Contributor III

Hello,

In the User-Profile that you have assigned for the SSID in question, you could check to see if IP-Firewall Policies are in place limiting access to any Private IPs.

If this is not the limitation, maybe the Switch port that the AP is connected to does not allow the 10.1.5.x vlan?

Maybe that vlan is not trunked all the way up to the router?

I hope this was helpful, but if not, I'll be happy to explore some more routes.

-David Souri

Community Moderator

GTM-P2G8KFN