cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue: Adding new access points causes network interruption.

Issue: Adding new access points causes network interruption.

tgmatula
New Contributor

We have AP250s deployed in 15 communities and each one runs unto this problem:

When a new access point is added to hive manager and allowed to update we experience a massive Wifi outage. Multiple users report that they are connected to an SSID but cannot access the internet nor ping the gateway. These users are no where near the new APs.

This usually lasts 5-15 minutes and then clears up.

I noticed that when adding the new APs, they are selected as the RADSEC every time.

The APs are usually provisioned, allowed to update and then unplugged so they can be installed in a pre-determined area.

Anyone have an idea why this happens? Is it because they are selected as RADSEC and then powered off?

3 REPLIES 3

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

We would need to see the logs for the time of the issue, and the APs will overwrite the logs we're looking at after they fill up, which could be 5 minutes or a couple hours after the fact, depending on how much information is coming in to the buffered logs. I might recommend setting up a syslog server to catch logs over a longer time period.

tgmatula
New Contributor

We are struggling to have an IT person present at the time the issues occur to collect tech data while the issue is happening. The interruptions usually hit in the early morning hours. Is there any other data / logs i could pull after-the-fact and what would i look for?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

It could be because they are elected as the Radsec proxy, but there should be two Radsec proxies so that shouldn't cause an outage. It's possible if all of the APs are using auto channel and power adjustments that it takes a bit for them to tune the network to compensate for the new signal, but that's also pretty unlikely to cause full outages, that would more likely show up as slow wifi instead of outright disconnection. To get a better idea, we'd need to see tech data from an AP that was taken while the issue was happening. If you can get this data for us, please email it to communityhelp@aerohive.com.

GTM-P2G8KFN