cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Management Interface (Mgt0) DHCP settings explanation

Management Interface (Mgt0) DHCP settings explanation

matt_nissen
New Contributor

Hello! I am trying my best to absorb as much info about Hivemanager and the AP's?…

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with wireless where it seems to take forever for some of our clients to get an IP, Default Gateway ARP, DNS.

Each AP's Management Interface (Mgt0) - MGT IP Address is set for DHCP. But there is another selection that you can check - Use DCHP only to set IP Address...….

What does that other option toggle off an on? If we have DHCP, DNS, and everything else on our backend will this setting help or hurt that process?

any help is much appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5

matt_nissen
New Contributor

I’m right back where I started....

same thing is happening even when I swapped another AP.

its pretty much happening on every AP... this one is worse. If you create an ssid personal wpa2 how does it authenticate? At the cloud or at the AP? It takes forever to authenticate.... that’s the problem.

matt_nissen
New Contributor

I finally went and and just looked at the AP physically and found the wiring was spliced from years ago. On top of that I found what looked like water damage right around the spliced wires. So I took it out and brought it to a new location. Booted up, same problem... so I finally just swapped it and found that the AP was damaged.

thanks for everyone’s immediate help!

ashley_finch
Contributor III

If it's just roaming between that AP and it's neighbor:

if you run "show acsp neighbor" can you provide the output of this so we can see how "strongly" we can see the neighboring APs

Additionally, is this AP on the same IP range/Subnet as it's neighbors?

Personally I'd recommend putting the 5GHz at a slightly higher power level by 2/3 as it attenuates more than the 2.4GHz, thus clients are more likely to be on the 2.4 also. However, the AP is rebooting by itself? This doesn't sound normal.

Reading through the other case, if a client has to switch between bands this could be contributing to the issue.

matt_nissen
New Contributor

​Yes! the clients take a long time and roaming only between the AP I mentioned and others neighboring it.

I did find out what happens if I check the box, clients cannot receive an ip, dns or anything else from our external DHCP.

As for the problem with clients having a hard time connecting to our AP in the warehouse - I found turning the transmission manually down to 5 on both 2.4 and 5ghz helps a TON. but it still gets packet loss and eventually reboots. I turned off both radios for now until I figure out what to do....

GTM-P2G8KFN