cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-SAN on-prem Aerohive NG hardware requirement. How did you implement?

Non-SAN on-prem Aerohive NG hardware requirement. How did you implement?

k_berrien
New Contributor

After moving from Classic to NG in our on-prem environment (about a month ago), we started seeing issues. Unable to push out configs, error in data reporting (# of clients connected, etc), a call to support brought up an obscure and rare hardware requirement for NG on prem. No SAN support, must be a directly connected drive, preferably SSD.

I have skepticism from my colleagues, this is a highly rare request for a VM environment in our experience. How did any of you else address this specifically?

thanks,

21 REPLIES 21

s_vey
New Contributor II

Hello everybody!

In two of our installations with this bug, the solution was 32GB RAM. After increasing the RAM from 24 to 32 GB, both systems were fully functional again.

That was about 2 weeks ago. Last week I updated one of the systems to the new version 20.1.3.2. And since yesterday there has been a new problem. When I click Manage -> Clients, I only get an error "An unknown error has occurred during the execution of this request."!

Support says I should reinstall the machine. I feel fooled. Who in the world runs his VMware environment without SAN ?? And why was the RAM memory the solution when it is supposed to be a SAN problem?

I am currently very disappointed!

k_berrien
New Contributor

Thanks Alan... we'll discuss upgrading here, and if we do go through it (or maybe we wait until summer) I'll of course report back for the benefit of the group...

aprice
New Contributor

We're on 19.5.1.7, and after everything in this thread we seem to be okay with the following settings:

• AVC: off
  • Stats collection: 10 second interval
  • KDDR: off

I do maintain the logs via the VA management system (port 3000 on the server) at the start of each month. I purge anything older than 30 days. I'm not clear on whether the system maintains itself correctly and haven't wanted to risk it.

Bear in mind, this is ALSO after a fresh deployment of the VA and an import of our data. I don't know how much things will go off the rails during an in-place upgrade, since they sure did for us originally.

k_berrien
New Contributor

Has anyone gotten a solid response from any level at Aerohive in regards resolving this situation? I've now inquired to sale engineering and sales rep twice - while we seem to be stable (after turning off all the bell's & whistles) for months now - I can't get word if it would be wise to update our system, we're still running NG at 12.8.3.3-NGVAFEB19.

Has anyone disabled the following running on a higher version with success?

1. Application Visibility and Control - turn off
  2. Collect statistics every X minutes - set to 60
  3. Kernel Diagnostic Data Recorder(KDDR) - turn off

GTM-P2G8KFN