cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with AP390's and multicasting.

Problem with AP390's and multicasting.

richard_moth
New Contributor

I have a mixed Aerohive environment with about 11 AP141's and 3 AP390's?.  We have purchased a device called AirTame to allow one off our directories to cast from his PC to a screen in his office.  The area around his office is located near 1 of the AP390's.  We setup the device in the IT area which is covered by one of the AP141's, and everything works, we can cast to the device and we can ping the device.  We then moved the Airtame device to the director's office and it would not work, could not cast and icmp fails.  Tried back in the IT area and the device worked fine again.  Tried moving the device around the office to see if we could find a command pattern to the issue.  Every time the Airtame device is moved into an area and connects to an AP390 we can not connect to it, move it to an area where there is an AP141 and everything works fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks very much for that tech data. I've emailed you details of what we're seeing but in general we're seeing extreme interference on the 5GHz radio, can you tell me if the AirTame device is 5GHz specific?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks very much for keeping me in the loop. I've sent you another email with screen shots and more details, but in general we're seeing no interference on the 2.4GHz radio, and the 5GHz radio has dramatically improved as well, although we still have moderate interference on the 5GHz, which would explain your test results.

richard_moth
New Contributor

I have uploaded a new "show tech" with the AirTame device connected via 2.4Ghz.  The IP Address is 10.44.202.178.​  And I can confirm on 2.4GHz connected to both 141's and 390's and it works.

My colleague has also turned off those Wifi networks that were causing interference on the 5ghz frequency.

richard_moth
New Contributor

Hi Sam

Quick update, the AirTame device has been changed to use the 2.4GHz frequency. Someone else had suggested we change the Bonjour Gateway to only scan our user VLANS instead off scanning all VLANS. So with both changes being made we seem to have it working on 141 and 390, I don't think the Bonjour change has made any difference though.  

Move the AirTame device to an area covered by a 390 and connecting to wireless using 2.4Ghz, casting works from same VLAN and we get a response from ping both same VLAN and different VLAN.  So it does look like a 2.4/5Ghz issue.

As a test we change to 5GHz while connected to the 390 and lost access to the device,  moved the Airtame device back to an area covered by an AP141 changing the it back to use 2.4Ghz and then moving it back to the AP390 area.

I'll let you know the results.

Richard

richard_moth
New Contributor

Hi Sam

Thank you for the emails.  The Airtame does support  both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz​.  Though AirTame recommend 5GHz, but it can only be one or the other and when the device is setup the installer has to select either 2.4Ghz or 5GHz.  I will see if one of my colleagues and move the device into an area that is covered by a 141 and then change it to use 2.4Ghz and then see how it performs when in a 390 area.

going back to your email with screen shoots, both device you have highlighted are owned and controlled by my company.  I will speak to the guy that installed them and see if they can turn down the power of those Wifi devices.

But I don't think they are what's causing the problem because I have another AP390 in a different area of the office that has none of those devices nearby but we still have the same problem.

I have attached a "show tech" from this other AP390, not sure if there is less interference on this one.

GTM-P2G8KFN