cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radius Configuration with Lightspeed Content Filter

Radius Configuration with Lightspeed Content Filter

richard_crosby
New Contributor

I have a solution where our AerohiveNG setup is configured to utilise the captive portal and Radius for our BYOD users.

Authentication information is forwarded to our Windows Radius server and accounting information is forwarded to a web content filter (Lightspeed Rocket) which requires non domain computers to authenticate.

The seamsless authentication from the captive portal to the content filter works great apart from users being prompted to reauthenticate against the content filter after what appear to be random periods of time, but close to every 15 minutes or less.

Timeout values shouldn't be a problem as these are set for at least 8 hours both within Aerohive and the content filter.

We have Lighspeed looking from their end but there's very little to configure from that perspective. I'm wondering what could be causing this from an Aerohive perspective.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

If a user was being asked to login to the CWP again, then I'd say we had a short roaming cache setting and we could adjust that for you. If the client was getting kicked off frequently and had to re-authenticate entirely, I'd say we have Radio Frequency interference and we could look in to that for you. However if the client needs to re-authenticate only to the content filter portion of things, I'm not sure there is anything on the Aerohive side we can adjust to help with that. However getting a screen sharing session going where we could troubleshoot this live with you would help. If you would like to open a case with us and set up a joint call between Aerohive Support and your Lightspeed support, we would be more than happy to join so we can troubleshoot all aspects of this at the same time.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

agroch
New Contributor

Richard, how did you ended up with the roaming issue? Looks like I have same thing and Lightspeed is blaming Aerohive, with previous Classic and 230 I had no issues, but with new NG cloud and 650 a lot of complains from our end users. i have every minute login and logout from radius and lightspeed says there is issue on the wifi

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for keeping me up to date. Does the Radius server note why the client logs out? Is it a disconnection on the part of the client device or is the Radius server ending the session? If the Radius server doesn't give us any insight to the disconnection, I'd be interested to see tech data from the AP you are trying to connect to. If you'd like to email that directly to me, my email is communityhelp@aerohive.com. If you could also let me know what the MAC address is for the client device you are testing with, that will let me search for specific lines in the tech data.

richard_crosby
New Contributor

Hi Sam,

To confirm the issue is purely a case of the Lightspeed filter requiring re-authentication, not the Aerohive CWP.

It has become apparent from Lightspeed logs that every RADIUS login is immediately followed by a RADIUS logout. Do you think this is an issue on the part of our Radius server or could this be something on Aerohive which requires tweaking?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

If a user was being asked to login to the CWP again, then I'd say we had a short roaming cache setting and we could adjust that for you. If the client was getting kicked off frequently and had to re-authenticate entirely, I'd say we have Radio Frequency interference and we could look in to that for you. However if the client needs to re-authenticate only to the content filter portion of things, I'm not sure there is anything on the Aerohive side we can adjust to help with that. However getting a screen sharing session going where we could troubleshoot this live with you would help. If you would like to open a case with us and set up a joint call between Aerohive Support and your Lightspeed support, we would be more than happy to join so we can troubleshoot all aspects of this at the same time.

GTM-P2G8KFN