cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Some AP's failing Radius test with: The connection attempt to the server timed out. Others: RADIUS server is reachable. Get attributes from RADIUS server: None. What would cause a handful to fail? What do I need to do to see why?

Some AP's failing Radius test with: The connection attempt to the server timed out. Others: RADIUS server is reachable. Get attributes from RADIUS server: None. What would cause a handful to fail? What do I need to do to see why?

mmueller1
New Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II
I'm assuming you are running Microsoft NPS as your RADIUS server, you should check the event viewer on the server running NPS. You can find the NPS logs under custom reports, security, and NPS. This will tell you two things... 1. Is NPS hearing communication from the AP? if not, you need to make sure the AP is a RADIUS Client in NPS. 2. you'll get a reason code from the NPS log that will point us to the problem. I'm also assuming your AH config is correct because it's working on some AP's.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II
Glad to help Mark!!

Keith Cotterman
Aerohive Networks | Sr Systems Engineer
kcotterman@aerohive.com
linkedin.com/in/keithcotterman<>
TOLA North America
Cell: 940.441.5990 | Technical Support: 866.365.9918
Aerohive Deployment Guides<>

mmueller1
New Contributor

Yes we are running Microsoft NPS. After looking at the logs we appeared to have two different problems. Some of the AP's were not listed as clients in the NPS somehow. Others were using DNS names that were somehow resolving to incorrect ip address. Thank you for your help Keith.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II
I'm assuming you are running Microsoft NPS as your RADIUS server, you should check the event viewer on the server running NPS. You can find the NPS logs under custom reports, security, and NPS. This will tell you two things... 1. Is NPS hearing communication from the AP? if not, you need to make sure the AP is a RADIUS Client in NPS. 2. you'll get a reason code from the NPS log that will point us to the problem. I'm also assuming your AH config is correct because it's working on some AP's.

mmueller1
New Contributor

I I pushed a complete upload to one of the troublesome AP's. Then SSH into the AP and was able to successfully ping both authentication servers, but, still fail the test. We have had no major changes to the network or firewall since long before this issue started happening. Any other ideas or tools to check. Thanks Keith.

GTM-P2G8KFN