cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is possible to maintain a static IP configuration in AP during a change of HiveManager´s version?

There is possible to maintain a static IP configuration in AP during a change of HiveManager´s version?

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Hello guys,

I need some ideas or maybe a workaround about a configuration that I will need to do soon.

So, a customer wants to upgrade they HiveManager classic on-premises to a HiveManager NG on-premises until here so far so good, but they have lots of APs distributed around many geographic sites, and these APs are configured with static IPs and if I am not wrong, during upgrade/change of HM process, these APs will be lost all the configuration, including the IP.

My question is, there is some way that I can maintain the old IP configuration? do you have some idea or workaround for this?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

The APs will lose their configuration during the move (specifically when the devices are removed from the device inventory in the Classic instance), which will include the static IP configuration. However, if you export your device inventory and import it in to HiveManager (formerly NG, I recommend you wait to import this in to HiveManager until after you've removed your device inventory from Classic so there is no overlap regarding where a serial number is registered), then the device specific configurations including the static IP setting will be transferred over to the new HiveManager.

In short, and in this order, you would want to export your device inventory from Classic, remove your devices from the Classic instance, import your device inventory file from Classic to HiveManager. This will mean that the APs will go offline briefly, but once they connect to the new HiveManager instance, then they will pull the configuration you've imported, including their static addresses, and you should be back up and running with the same static settings in use.

Does that sound like what you're looking for?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Hi Sam,

I am sorry for the delay in my interaction, thank you very much for your attention and agility to answer my question, I believe this is the best solution for my case.

But, as I have said, this is an environment with lots of APs distributed around the many different cities, I will test these tips before the run in the production.

After I doing that I will post here if all go well or not, to give feedback to you too.

Thank you again 🙂

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

The APs will lose their configuration during the move (specifically when the devices are removed from the device inventory in the Classic instance), which will include the static IP configuration. However, if you export your device inventory and import it in to HiveManager (formerly NG, I recommend you wait to import this in to HiveManager until after you've removed your device inventory from Classic so there is no overlap regarding where a serial number is registered), then the device specific configurations including the static IP setting will be transferred over to the new HiveManager.

In short, and in this order, you would want to export your device inventory from Classic, remove your devices from the Classic instance, import your device inventory file from Classic to HiveManager. This will mean that the APs will go offline briefly, but once they connect to the new HiveManager instance, then they will pull the configuration you've imported, including their static addresses, and you should be back up and running with the same static settings in use.

Does that sound like what you're looking for?

GTM-P2G8KFN