cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPA Page on open guest remember guests

UPA Page on open guest remember guests

tkeyes
New Contributor

We have an open network for use by guests and employees for non-secure work or non-work related activity. All users accept the policy to join the network and that's it.

Is it possible to have the network remember the devices, or that they have accepted the policy for a week or longer? We would prefer to not inconvenience our employees by forcing them to accept the policy every time they pick up their phones or tablets. The extent of setting is 30 minutes idle kicks them off the network, which is fine, but would like them to be able to reconnect automatically, unless we make changes to the policy and clear the cache.

3 REPLIES 3

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

The only logs the AP will hold would be client credentials, we aren't going to be able to store roaming or authentication caches by MAC or any other client identifier. If you'd like to see that feature added in the future, you'd want to submit a feature request to your Aerohive sales engineer. If you're unsure who that is, I can email you their contact information directly.

tkeyes
New Contributor

Thanks again Sam. Is there any way to hold clients by MAC or some other identifier? I understand extending the ARP cache can be dangerous, so perhaps this limitation has been placed with security in mind.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Unfortunately the APs don't hold logs for clients that have left the network. Once the device is disconnected, the inactive client timer will start and the max for that timer is 30 minutes. Once that timer expires, the AP drops records of that client so they would have to accept the UPA again when they reconnect. I would recommend submitting a feature request to your Aerohive sales engineer to see if we can extend that inactive client timer in a future release.

GTM-P2G8KFN