cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We want a ipad to be able to print to a network printer in a different VLan. how to implement it?

We want a ipad to be able to print to a network printer in a different VLan. how to implement it?

alden_xu
New Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

You would need to configure Bonjour to broadcast services (like printing) from one VLAN to another. If you can let me know which HiveManager platform you are using, I can give you more specific instructions.

This guide will walk you through how to determine which HiveManager you are using, for reference: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Which-HiveManager-Platform-am-I-using

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

They should have an app for printing from that tablet to a printer.  You might even be able to use the HP print app.  Either way, it will use IP for printing, so you will need the IP address of the printer.

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Just know that whatever AP is acting as the Bonjour Gateway (BG) the switch its connected to, would have to have ALL of the vlans configured on it, even if they are just tagged (with your primary vlan), otherwise it wont “see” those other vlans.  I ran into that issue, but also that there was something wrong with my DHCP server (and have to remove DHCP and manually rebuild it on another server).  So on the switch, you would need to put all the vlans on it, then find which switch port that goes back to your server room, leave that untagged, and then all the others (normally shown to the right of that port) woudl all be tagged, and that way, the AP would be able to communicate across all the vlans (remember to configure the BG in the interface of Hivemanager, and add the services needed.  Although just know we had to download a printer app for our Konica’s as Bonjour just wont work that way on an ipad, but at least an ipad can now “see” an Apple TV across vlans (for us).

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

You should be able to use your Samsung to move data over the Bonjour gateway to a different VLAN. Certain Bonjour services might be Apple only (such as airplay), but printing should work fine for any OS device. 

JoanneCameron
New Contributor

Hi guys, please tell me can I do all this on my Samsung, which runs on Android? Or does it work only with an Apple iPad? The fact is that I recently bought a tablet and among the best tablets for taking handwritten notes I chose Samsung. Because the main thing that I needed was a stylus and the ability to write notes. I also plan to use the tablet to print various documents and sheets. And I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a tablet, so I didn't buy an Apple iPad, Samsung was much cheaper and met all my requirements. Anyway, thank you for your comments, I will try to use your advice.

GTM-P2G8KFN