cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my AP's trying to ping Google's DNS at 8.8.8.8? I don't have any IP tracking groups configured. Just curious.

Why are my AP's trying to ping Google's DNS at 8.8.8.8? I don't have any IP tracking groups configured. Just curious.

ryan_andres
New Contributor
9 REPLIES 9

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Karsten, this is a feature of the new Network 360 tab. The ping is expected, to help fill in the connectivity metrics in the Network 360 widgets. It won't hurt anything on the wireless network if this ping can't go through, but you may have some blank reports within HiveManager.

karsten_klein
New Contributor

Hi Sam,

I got the same Problem after upgrading from HiveOS 8.2r6.228034 to HiveOS 10.0r6.231435 on my AP's.

Will send the techdata Asap.

8e9e00f8d18a45d48318a6ca4b5ce518_0690c000006lIq7AAE.jpg

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for that data. Could you send tech data from an AP that is trying to reach 8.8.8.8? If you'd like to send this to me directly, my email is communityhelp@aerohive.com.

ryan_andres
New Contributor

Hi Sam,

Here is the result from my show dns.

show dns

DNS server configuration:

Domain name suffix:{domain}

Primary : 9.9.9.9

Secondary : 149.112.112.112

Tertiary : 199.85.126.20

I see in my firewall logs the ping originating from AP's in my Backhaul network to Google and getting blocked due to my firewall rules on that network. I have attached a screensnip.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Where do you see that they are trying to ping 8.8.8.8? Also, could you run the command "show dns" to see which DNS servers you are using?

GTM-P2G8KFN