cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my clients no getting DHCP addresses

Why are my clients no getting DHCP addresses

thabisom
New Contributor

I have created a network policy on the HiveManager NG cloud, but my clients are not getting DHCP addresses. I tried to do the VLAN Probe and it says my VLAN's are not available.  Please help. I tried checking all layers. I can connect to the AP via ssh and can ping other networks from the AP, but my clients aint getting DHCP ips

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi Thabiso,

Thank you,

Could you go to the CLI of the AP with a Terminal Client like Putty(Windows) or OpenSSH admin@ip-of-AP

HowTo: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/How-to-Connect-to-an-AP-using-SSH

Please try this command:

int mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range 340 340

Then, this command as well:

int mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range 350 350

They Should Pass If all is tagged up-stream and DHCP is properly configured.

If Not, we can continue Triage:

So far, you've confirmed the Switch-Port that the AP is connecting to Tags correctly.

• Can you check the same for any UP-stream switch?
  • Including the Switch-Port that the DHCP Server is connected to.

Are you using vLAN 340 or 350 for the User-Profiles, or both?

If so, then the DHCP Probe commands above should have passed but if they fail, We'll want to locate where the drop is.

Please perform a Client Monitor with the MAC Address of the client device that's failing. We will want to determine which part of the DHCP Handshake is failing, OR if the problem is Radio Association.

Client Monitor: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Client-Monitor-in-NG

Hope this helps, 

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

wwillingham
New Contributor III

If VLAN probe is showing the VLANs are unavailable, that means that either the DHCP scopes are not setup/enabled or that there is a network infrastructure configuration problem. Assuming that the DHCP scopes are setup and configured correctly, let's look at the network infrastructure. The most likely issue is that the port on the switch that the AP is plugged into is not tagged for the VLANs that you need. Check the configuration of the switch port that the AP is on and make sure that it has the VLAN tags for the appropriate VLANs.

GTM-P2G8KFN