cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my clients no getting DHCP addresses

Why are my clients no getting DHCP addresses

thabisom
New Contributor

I have created a network policy on the HiveManager NG cloud, but my clients are not getting DHCP addresses. I tried to do the VLAN Probe and it says my VLAN's are not available.  Please help. I tried checking all layers. I can connect to the AP via ssh and can ping other networks from the AP, but my clients aint getting DHCP ips

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi Thabiso,

Thank you,

Could you go to the CLI of the AP with a Terminal Client like Putty(Windows) or OpenSSH admin@ip-of-AP

HowTo: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/How-to-Connect-to-an-AP-using-SSH

Please try this command:

int mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range 340 340

Then, this command as well:

int mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range 350 350

They Should Pass If all is tagged up-stream and DHCP is properly configured.

If Not, we can continue Triage:

So far, you've confirmed the Switch-Port that the AP is connecting to Tags correctly.

• Can you check the same for any UP-stream switch?
  • Including the Switch-Port that the DHCP Server is connected to.

Are you using vLAN 340 or 350 for the User-Profiles, or both?

If so, then the DHCP Probe commands above should have passed but if they fail, We'll want to locate where the drop is.

Please perform a Client Monitor with the MAC Address of the client device that's failing. We will want to determine which part of the DHCP Handshake is failing, OR if the problem is Radio Association.

Client Monitor: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Client-Monitor-in-NG

Hope this helps, 

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Thabiso,

One thing to note w/wireless is that it operates at Layer 2 (MAC layer) predominantly. So if Layer 3 (IP) isn't working, it's most likely a configuration issues elsewhere upstream (could be the Aerohive configuration or your switch configuration). Not knowing how all of that is setup makes triage difficult. You mentioned in earlier posts that VLAN 340 was omitted from your core switch. Did that switch config not get saved perhaps and the switch lost power and lost the config that got it working?

Your best route it to start w/Davids troubleshooting steps from before to try to nail down where the issue lies.

From the switch the AP is plugged into, can you ping the DHCP server? Do other VLANs work? What IP/VLAN is the AP itself on? If you put the User Profile for the SSID on that VLAN, will clients get an IP from that DHCP bucket?

thabisom
New Contributor

a2cdafe0c83742dc874cc6526db87e15_0690c000007WovrAAC.pngI went through the client monitoring troubleshooting process and it says DHCP Server not reachable.

thabisom
New Contributor

Good day, My apologies for disappearing on you guys, had issues with Aerohive licenses. Am back to square one. I can't probe VLAN 340, as a results my clients are not getting any ip addresses. You assistance will be much appreciated. 

thabisom
New Contributor

Hi @David Souri​ , I checked the up-stream and found out that the route to Vlan 340 was omitted on the core switch. Upon adding it I could probe the Vlan340 successfully. I cant test if clients are getting DHCP addresses as users are not at the office at the moment. I will check in the morning and see if they are able to.

The Vlan350 will be used for the Guest-Access, I am not worried that much about it at the moment.

Thanks a lot for your assistance and I will keep u updated once I test tomorrow

  

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi Thabiso,

Thank you,

Could you go to the CLI of the AP with a Terminal Client like Putty(Windows) or OpenSSH admin@ip-of-AP

HowTo: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/How-to-Connect-to-an-AP-using-SSH

Please try this command:

int mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range 340 340

Then, this command as well:

int mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range 350 350

They Should Pass If all is tagged up-stream and DHCP is properly configured.

If Not, we can continue Triage:

So far, you've confirmed the Switch-Port that the AP is connecting to Tags correctly.

• Can you check the same for any UP-stream switch?
  • Including the Switch-Port that the DHCP Server is connected to.

Are you using vLAN 340 or 350 for the User-Profiles, or both?

If so, then the DHCP Probe commands above should have passed but if they fail, We'll want to locate where the drop is.

Please perform a Client Monitor with the MAC Address of the client device that's failing. We will want to determine which part of the DHCP Handshake is failing, OR if the problem is Radio Association.

Client Monitor: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Client-Monitor-in-NG

Hope this helps, 

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

GTM-P2G8KFN