cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my clients no getting DHCP addresses

Why are my clients no getting DHCP addresses

thabisom
New Contributor

I have created a network policy on the HiveManager NG cloud, but my clients are not getting DHCP addresses. I tried to do the VLAN Probe and it says my VLAN's are not available.  Please help. I tried checking all layers. I can connect to the AP via ssh and can ping other networks from the AP, but my clients aint getting DHCP ips

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi Thabiso,

Thank you,

Could you go to the CLI of the AP with a Terminal Client like Putty(Windows) or OpenSSH admin@ip-of-AP

HowTo: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/How-to-Connect-to-an-AP-using-SSH

Please try this command:

int mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range 340 340

Then, this command as well:

int mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range 350 350

They Should Pass If all is tagged up-stream and DHCP is properly configured.

If Not, we can continue Triage:

So far, you've confirmed the Switch-Port that the AP is connecting to Tags correctly.

• Can you check the same for any UP-stream switch?
  • Including the Switch-Port that the DHCP Server is connected to.

Are you using vLAN 340 or 350 for the User-Profiles, or both?

If so, then the DHCP Probe commands above should have passed but if they fail, We'll want to locate where the drop is.

Please perform a Client Monitor with the MAC Address of the client device that's failing. We will want to determine which part of the DHCP Handshake is failing, OR if the problem is Radio Association.

Client Monitor: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Client-Monitor-in-NG

Hope this helps, 

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

thabisom
New Contributor

Good day, the clients obtained DHCP addresses from VLAN 63. I had to go through the entire switch config and found out that the ip helper statement was ommited. I think the configs were not saved and we had power outages. I can succesfully probe VLAN 340. Will be testing if client can get ip addresses.

Thanks for you help. 

thabisom
New Contributor

The DHCP and Radius servers are separate. I can ping both from the switch. Let me try to put profile on VLAN 63 and see if I will get something.

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

That would/should confirm that the issue be a configuration issue related to VLAN 340. And give you a starting point to troubleshooting. If clients can get an IP on VLAN 63 as well that is.

You state you can ping the radius server, did you mean the DHCP server? Or do both services run on the same server?

thabisom
New Contributor

@Brian Powers​  I can ping the radius server from the switch, The AP is on the management VLAN which is VLAN 63. So u suggest I put the user profile on the same VLAN as the AP?

GTM-P2G8KFN