cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why my AP250 doesn't get IP address from DHCP?

reza_jazayeri1
New Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

To make sure it can reach a DHCP server, please run the following command:

int mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range # #

If you want to test one VLAN you would enter the VLAN number you are testing where you see "#". So if I was running this command for VLAN 5, the command would read "int mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range 5 5". You'll want to test the VLAN that this AP is on (likely your native VLAN).

This command sends a DHCP packet down the VLAN you indicate. If it gets any kind of response from a DHCP server, it will consider the test successful, and we'll know the AP can reach a DHCP server. If the test fails, we'll know it is because there is no DHCP server responding for that VLAN. This either means the VLAN the AP is on is not properly set up in the backend network (not all ports support it for instance), or that the DHCP for the VLAN is unresponsive.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

bruce_stahlin
Contributor III

I would also look at the upstream switch to see which vlan the AP's MAC address appears.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

To make sure it can reach a DHCP server, please run the following command:

int mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range # #

If you want to test one VLAN you would enter the VLAN number you are testing where you see "#". So if I was running this command for VLAN 5, the command would read "int mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range 5 5". You'll want to test the VLAN that this AP is on (likely your native VLAN).

This command sends a DHCP packet down the VLAN you indicate. If it gets any kind of response from a DHCP server, it will consider the test successful, and we'll know the AP can reach a DHCP server. If the test fails, we'll know it is because there is no DHCP server responding for that VLAN. This either means the VLAN the AP is on is not properly set up in the backend network (not all ports support it for instance), or that the DHCP for the VLAN is unresponsive.

GTM-P2G8KFN