Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN over MPLS - MLXe

SAN over MPLS - MLXe

tlibessart
New Contributor

Hello,

I have a MLX network on which i do MPLS tunnel to delivry LAN to LAN.

I would like to know if it’s possible to delivery SAN to SAN over MPLS ?

Thanks by advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee

Tlibessart,

I am not sure if I understand your question, however I will attempt to answer your question with some general information.

The MLX itself does not support direct SAN connectivity; FC, FCOE etc.  This is an ethernet device that provides Layer 2 switching and Layer 3 routing.  As you mentioned, the MLX supports MPLS and both VPLS (point to multipoint) and VLL (point to point) Layer 2 extension.  Traffic needs to be tagged/untagged for the appropriate VLAN in order to be placed onto the MPLS network.

If your SAN traffic is not encapsulated correctly as Ethernet Traffic, I would not expect it to flow over the MPLS network.

Thanks,

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer / Extreme Networks

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee

Tlibessart,

I am not sure if I understand your question, however I will attempt to answer your question with some general information.

The MLX itself does not support direct SAN connectivity; FC, FCOE etc.  This is an ethernet device that provides Layer 2 switching and Layer 3 routing.  As you mentioned, the MLX supports MPLS and both VPLS (point to multipoint) and VLL (point to point) Layer 2 extension.  Traffic needs to be tagged/untagged for the appropriate VLAN in order to be placed onto the MPLS network.

If your SAN traffic is not encapsulated correctly as Ethernet Traffic, I would not expect it to flow over the MPLS network.

Thanks,

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer / Extreme Networks

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks
GTM-P2G8KFN