Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need STP in fairly basic setup?

Do I need STP in fairly basic setup?

Pawel_Eljasz
New Contributor II
hi everyone

With a simple VCS in logical mode where "third-party" physical access to the devices is forbidden and where that VCS has one uplink/vlan (port group LACP) to the "outside" - would you say no STP(nor other loop detecting/protecting mechanism) is okey?
And if not and some loop protection is required, then why?

many thanks, L.
5 REPLIES 5

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee
Hi Pawel,

Your question is very broad and difficult to answer without a diagram. It's important to see how many physical links are connected and how they are configured.

As requested previously, please upload a diagram with the topology to reference, so we can accurately address your question.

Pawel_Eljasz
New Contributor II
vlanZ ?? | VCS via lacp (few vlans, trunks) to a non-extreme switch | ?? vlanZ

Here I'd need STP or loop protection some mechanism (on both VCS and non-exteme) for VlanZ will have two paths, no?
Think of VCS+non-extreme switch as one "segment" you can access and manage/control.

If something is vague in terms of topology then please point out & ask.
many thanks, L.

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee
Based on you what described, everything is point-to-point (VCS acts as one logical switch), so you don't need to enabled STP.

If you have further questions, please include a topology diagram. So, we can reference and fully understand your question.

Pawel_Eljasz
New Contributor II
It regards my other question "VDX in a "stack" with a non-Extreme switches"

I'd have a VCS in logical chassis mode which links via LACP to a non-Extreme unit. I think of these bit as one logical unit I have control over. That LACP link carries a handful of Vlans, among them VlanZ
Then both, VCS and "third-party" have one uplink each to the "outside" and those two links are in access mode with VlanZ.

What is necessary to cover is such a setup as above?
many thanks, P.
GTM-P2G8KFN