Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto backup config for vdx 6740 to scp/sftp server every midnight

Auto backup config for vdx 6740 to scp/sftp server every midnight

uberuberuber33
New Contributor

Hello guys,

Hope you are doing well.

Is there command  to configure on vdx 6740 switch to enable it to auto backup configure file onto the scp/sftp server every midnight just like crontab stuff in the linux?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee

SW01(config)# vcs auto-config-backup timer 1
% Error: Auto config backup timer could not be deleted.

This error indicate that the config DB wasn’t able to remove/update the value. To attempt to clear this, reload the switch by running ‘reload system’. Once it reboot, the configuration will be applied to the DB which will typically clear any inconsistencies. 

Regarding the backup location, the configuration files are stored internally and used once there’s a corrupt DB. 

If you still prefer to copy off the running configuration nightly externally, I would suggest to use XMC (Extreme Management Center):

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/000038813

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee

This error indicate that the config DB wasn’t able to remove/update the value. To attempt to clear this, reload the switch by running ‘reload system’. Once it reboot, the configuration will be applied to the DB which will typically clear any inconsistencies. 

Regarding the backup location, the configuration files are stored internally and used once there’s a corrupt DB. 

If you still prefer to copy off the running configuration nightly externally, I would suggest to use XMC (Extreme Management Center):

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/000038813

uberuberuber33
New Contributor

Hello Truyen,

Thank you for the info.

I am using the VDX6740T-1G with the firmware version 7.2.0e. But when i typed number 1, it just reports some error. And I have to enter number 2 to make it work….. so how can I make the auto backup every single day instead of every two days??

SW01(config)# vcs auto-config-backup timer 2

SW01# show run | i auto-config-backup
vcs auto-config-backup timer 2

And meanwhile where is the auto backup up is stored? i can’t find any new backup configuration files in the flash drive….

Many thanks.

Regards,

Ray

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee

Hi Ray,

This feature was added to NOS 7.1.0 and higher. 

sw0(config)# vcs auto-config-backup timer ?
Possible completions:
  <NUMBER:1-365>   Timer Interval (in Days)

Examples of the above command can be on page 42 of the management guide. 

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/networkos/SW/71x/53-1004591-02_ManagementNetworkOS_7.1.0_C...

Hope that helps. 

GTM-P2G8KFN