cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixing VDX long-distance isl and lossy isl to same RBRIDGE

Mixing VDX long-distance isl and lossy isl to same RBRIDGE

wgs
New Contributor
In general can long-distance lossless ISL links and lossy ISL links to link same
In my specific case: Would it be a good practice to add long-distance lossless 10G ISL links to a VCS logical chassis that has two 40G-LR isl links?
4 REPLIES 4

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee
WGS,

As the release notes state, the 40G and 100G interfaces do not support the Lossless "long-distance isl" command. The optics do however support distances up to 40Km and can be used as a standard "lossy" ISL.

Lossless support on 40G and 100G interfaces is limited to 1Km

Thanks,

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer – Switching, Routing & Analytics
Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks

wgs
New Contributor
I think perhaps I am overthinking this. We are not on WAN/METRO setup. This is all the same L2, just direct 2.5Km fiber between two rbridges.

wgs
New Contributor
Hi Michael,

I have review those documents, but confused slight by conflicting information in the release notes for NOS 7.3.

I am looking to create VCS logical chassis between data centers that are about 2.5km distant. I could use 10G-LR ISL with long distance. The release notes imply that lossy 40G ISL are a valid choice:

• The 40G and 100G interfaces do not support “long-distance isl” command, however can extend distances for non-lossless traffic up to 40Km using standard ISLs.

This is for client to server traffic and L3 routing.

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee
WGS,

For Best practices, I would recommend you review Extreme Validated Designs page. Also regarding ISLs I would recommend reviewing the guidelines and restrictions for long distance ISLs.

Thanks,

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer – Switching, Routing & Analytics
Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks
GTM-P2G8KFN