cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

portchannel load-balance available modes

portchannel load-balance available modes

mbze430
New Contributor II

I need to bond two links from an AP, the AP only support SRC MAC+DST MAC, DST MAC, and SRC MAC. I didn't see one that match in the manual....

What load balance should I pick?  I wasn't sure on the description because they all say "and".  In that context I assume it have to be all.

dst-mac-vid
Specifies that destination MAC address and VID-based load balancing will be used.
src-dst-ip
Specifies that source and destination IP address-based load balancing will be used.
src-dst-ip-mac-vid
Specifies that source and destination IP and MAC address and VID-based load balancing will be used.
src-dst-ip-mac-vid-port
Specifies that source and destination IP, MAC address, VID and TCP/UDP port-based load balancing will be used.
This is the default.
src-dst-ip-port
Specifies that source and destination IP and TCP/UDP port-based load balancing will be used.
src-dst-mac-vid
Specifies that source and destination MAC address and VID-based load balancing will be used.
src-mac-vid
Specifies that source MAC address and VID-based load balancing will be used.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee

Your question is not very clear as I believe you are confusing Bonding and Hashing.

Binding two interfaces into a single trunk is typically done one of two ways; LACP (active) or Static (on).

What you are describing in your post is for Hashing, which is the way the device decides how to break up the traffic amongst the links in the trunk.  This should not need to be the same on both sides of the link, the only impact you would see is that the load on each link would not be 100% the same.  

If you want to get as close as you can I would pick:

SRC MAC+DST MAC = 

src-dst-mac-vid

DST MAC = 

dst-mac-vid

SRC MAC = 

src-mac-vid

Good luck,

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee

Your question is not very clear as I believe you are confusing Bonding and Hashing.

Binding two interfaces into a single trunk is typically done one of two ways; LACP (active) or Static (on).

What you are describing in your post is for Hashing, which is the way the device decides how to break up the traffic amongst the links in the trunk.  This should not need to be the same on both sides of the link, the only impact you would see is that the load on each link would not be 100% the same.  

If you want to get as close as you can I would pick:

SRC MAC+DST MAC = 

src-dst-mac-vid

DST MAC = 

dst-mac-vid

SRC MAC = 

src-mac-vid

Good luck,

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks
GTM-P2G8KFN