cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to set up a TFTP connection on VDX 6740T

Trying to set up a TFTP connection on VDX 6740T

FLind4085
New Contributor

Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong on a VDX 6740T switch. I am trying to basically set up a port for use as a point to direct connect to my laptop which is running a TFTP server. I set up the port with an IP of 192.168.0.3 and on the rbridge-id 1 I have the following config

rbridge-id 1
switch-attributes chassis-name VDX6740T
switch-attributes host-name sw0
vrf mgmt-vrf
address-family ipv4 unicast
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.0.2

Do I need to make the connection port a member of the rbridge? I am use to Cisco devices where a simple set up of an IP and default gateway is usually enough to make this work but not sure what is causing the issue with this setup currently. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee

On the VDX there are two VRFs by default; mgmt-vrf and default-vrf

The management interface itself is automatically within the mgmt-vrf, with the config "vrf forwarding mgmt-vrf" which is where you have your default route configured.

Your VE 10 with "ip address 192.168.0.3/24" has no vrf configured so therefore it is in the default-vrf.

Try adding "vrf forwarding mgmt-vrf" and then reapplying the IP address to VE 10 and see if you are successful.

Most commands use the default-vrf, including ping.  If you want to ping your own Management IP, use the command:

"ping 172.16.200.2 vrf mgmt-vrf"

Hope that helps,

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee

On the VDX there are two VRFs by default; mgmt-vrf and default-vrf

The management interface itself is automatically within the mgmt-vrf, with the config "vrf forwarding mgmt-vrf" which is where you have your default route configured.

Your VE 10 with "ip address 192.168.0.3/24" has no vrf configured so therefore it is in the default-vrf.

Try adding "vrf forwarding mgmt-vrf" and then reapplying the IP address to VE 10 and see if you are successful.

Most commands use the default-vrf, including ping.  If you want to ping your own Management IP, use the command:

"ping 172.16.200.2 vrf mgmt-vrf"

Hope that helps,

Michael Morey
Extreme Networks

I am now able to ping over to and from the switch and laptop however still not able to get TFTP working. I keep failing the sanity test using TFTP. 

============================================================================================

sw0# firmware download tftp
Value for 'host' (<string>): 172.16.200.3
Value for 'directory' (<string>): c:\TFTP-Root\nos7.4.1j
Performing system sanity check...
Cannot access the server. Please check whether the server name or IP address is valid.

================================================================================================================

I am using Solarwinds TFTP Tool connecting to a windows 10 machine. I disabled my firewall and as stated I am to ping both ways. I am also able to SSH from my laptop into the directly connected switch as well. Is there something I am missing on the TFTP commands?

I believe the issue is with your "Directory" value.

When using TFTP the root directory is where you start out when you connect.  So if "TFTP-Root" is you set root directory in your Solarwinds server, and the firmware folder is in that same directory, you would only need to use the relative path of  "nos7.4.1j".  I have also seen where people commonly use the "extract to" option rather than "extract here" when using windows causing the folder to be nested, so please also verify that the "nos7.4.1j" folder contains has all the files directly in it and not something like "nos7.4.1j\nos7.4.1j\[all the files}"

Good Luck

Michael Morey
Extreme Networks

I am still getting a path is not specified for the command error message. What file exactly should I be pointing the firmware download command to? 

Here is the results of the attempt and the photo is of the directory tree

sw0# firmware download tftp
Value for 'host' (<string>): 172.16.200.3
Value for 'directory' (<string>): \nos7.4.2.1j
Performing system sanity check...
Path is not specified for the command.

This command will cause a cold/disruptive reboot and will require that existing telnet, secure telnet or SSH sessions be restarted.

Do you want to continue? [y/n]:y
2024/07/31-18:23:23, [SULB-1000], 33077, SW/0 | Active, WARNING, VDX6740T, The firmware download command has been started.
Path is not specified for the command.

'firmware download' command usage error.
Usage:
firmware download ftp|scp [nocommit] [noreboot] host <host_ip> user <username> password <password> directory <directory> [file <file name>]
| usb directory <directory>
| interactive
sw0# Options:
nocommit -Disable auto-commit.
noreboot -Disable Auto-reboot after firmware download.
file -Specific 'plist' file to be used. For e.g., release.plist.

VDX Question.png

GTM-P2G8KFN