Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDX-6740 ECMP Static route

VDX-6740 ECMP Static route

HipG
New Contributor

Hi,

Pretty new to VDX and I can’t find much documentation on it as far as configuration goes, but is ECMP supported on the VDX-6740 for static routes. For example if I configure 2 static routes to the same destination via 2 separate L3 direct connections, same cost, how will the routing behave?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Balaji
Extreme Employee

ECMP is enabled by default for static routes and it uses the round robin method to load balance the traffic.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Balaji
Extreme Employee

Hi HipG, 

The round robin is per stream, 1st stream will chose gateway1 , 2nd stream will chose gateway 2 and it alternates between each gateway. 

HipG
New Contributor

Thank you Michael, sorry I didn’t mean I couldn’t find much documentation in general, but I can’t seem to find the information I was after specifically. There seems to be a command to set the maximum number of ECMP paths, but exactly how it works or if there is any more control over it was what I was after.

Many thanks

HipG
New Contributor

Thank you Balaji, just to clarify, if its round robin it doesn’t use any other algorithm or hashing technique? Does this mean flows from/to same source and destination can go down different paths each time? Also does the round robin also come into effect on the return traffic or does the VDX ensure that return traffic is sent on the same path it is received?

Many thanks.

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee

HipG,

There is a wealth of information regarding configurations on our Documentation site:

NetworkOS 7.2.0 Config Guides

Select your version at the top right of the Documentation site to see guides for older releases.

Thanks,

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer / Extreme Networks

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks
GTM-P2G8KFN