cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDX6740 backup and factory reset

VDX6740 backup and factory reset

Stuman
New Contributor
I have 2xVDX 6740 in the same VCS running in logical chassis mode. I want to backup the global configuration and local rbridge configurations, then break the VCS and return the switches back to factory configuration. Then restore the global and local config.

Has anyone got any advice or how to links they can provide?

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yulia_Abitbul
Extreme Employee
First: You can back up your configuration from principal switch - it will have shared and local configuration for both switches ("copy running-config [ftp/scp/usb etc])

Second: Two options how to default the configuration:
  • copy default-config startup-config (will clear all configuration, but VCSid, RBid, VCS mode will remain the same) followed by reload
  • Change VCSid and/or RBid, that will default configuration
Third: To Break (split) the cluster you need to disconnect ISL connection and change VCSid on one of the switches. Meaning if you want to have 2 stand alone switches connected to each other via regular link/port-channel - VCSid should be unique on each switch. recommended to remove isl configuration from the port
(no isl enable; no fabric enable)

Forth: Manually re-apply configuration from backup file; Shared configuration to both of them and local accordingly

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Stuman
New Contributor

Tanks for the help so far managed to get the switch to defeat.

How do I go about restoring the config (cfg) back?

Create the VCS and assign rbridges then run copy usb://backup file.cfg running-config?
I'm not to sure what command to use to restore it.

joergkost
Contributor II
Also backup / write down the license keys with
show logging raslog | include "license key"

Michael_Morey
Extreme Employee
Stuman,

As a Logical chassis does not support saving or copying the "startup" config, in order to make a backup you need to use the current running config:

code:
copy running-config flash://config_backup.cfg

You can then upload the file via FTP or copy it over to the USB in order to retrieve the data.

Once you have the backup you can default the device using one of two methods:

code:
copy default start

This will flag the VDX to boot up with the default config, with that said it will still retain the following

1.) VCS ID
2.) Rbridge-ID
3.) Management IP address

To fully wipe out the device, you can use a the "Net-Install" process. The main issues we see is with people formatting the USB device, so please follow those instructions closely and open a case with TAC if you have any issues.

Once you have everything defaulted, I would recommend forming the fabric first and then uploading your config to the principal switch. Restoring the config prior to forming the fabric will likely result in an Esc DB mismatch and segmentation.

Thanks,

Mike Morey
Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Extreme Networks

Yulia_Abitbul
Extreme Employee
First: You can back up your configuration from principal switch - it will have shared and local configuration for both switches ("copy running-config [ftp/scp/usb etc])

Second: Two options how to default the configuration:
  • copy default-config startup-config (will clear all configuration, but VCSid, RBid, VCS mode will remain the same) followed by reload
  • Change VCSid and/or RBid, that will default configuration
Third: To Break (split) the cluster you need to disconnect ISL connection and change VCSid on one of the switches. Meaning if you want to have 2 stand alone switches connected to each other via regular link/port-channel - VCSid should be unique on each switch. recommended to remove isl configuration from the port
(no isl enable; no fabric enable)

Forth: Manually re-apply configuration from backup file; Shared configuration to both of them and local accordingly
GTM-P2G8KFN