Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roles/Clients created in XCA not showing up in Defender Appliance

Roles/Clients created in XCA not showing up in Defender Appliance

SeñorSam
New Contributor

Hello,

I am demoing the Defender SA201 Adapters and am having some difficulty working with the Defender Appliance. When I first started with XCA and the Defender Appliance a few months back, I had no issue creating a role in XCA, and that role then showed up in the appliance. 

After about a day of this working fine, the appliance seemed to reset (it had me complete the setup wizard again the next time I logged in) and now whenever I create a role in XCA it doesn’t show up in the appliance. Only the default ‘DFNDR_DenyAll” and “DFNDR_PolicyGeneration” show up no matter what I do. 

I created a test role and added it to the same two profiles that the aforementioned roles are a part of but this did not resolve the issue.  

c1acd7d5fdf148219c8e593d5cf8d94e_21a1caff-7552-4f81-ae18-10e71872df0c.png
Test “Role_1” added to DFNDR_SA201 and DFNDR profiles. 

c1acd7d5fdf148219c8e593d5cf8d94e_23c51454-027d-40c6-8d9f-884329983d28.png
In the Defender App role page, no ‘Role_1’. 

I am also having an issue where I have a laptop connected to the adapter, it is using ‘Role_1’ because I assigned it as the default for the network but the device does not show up under the protected device list in the Defender Application. It does however show up as a client in XCA. 

c1acd7d5fdf148219c8e593d5cf8d94e_1681f375-579f-4cfc-8ffc-4ed67869cec1.png
I’ll skip the second picture, but this client doesn't show up in the Defender App. 

I would say that nothing I do in XCA changes anything on the Defender Application side, but that is not true. I can adjust the default deny all role to allow traffic and that change will show up in the app, I can add Defender adapters and assign them to a site and they will show up in the app. For some reason the roles I create or preexisting ones I add to profiles, and the end clients attached to the adapters don’t show up in the app. 

I have tried removing the application and installing a newer release, and continued to encounter the same problems. Perhaps I am just misunderstanding the relationship between certain components, but there was a point where role creation worked fine for me, and then all of a sudden it did not. 

I am using XCA 04.36.03.0006 and Defender Appliance v03.21.06 in case that affects anything.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, and I will gladly clear up any vague/confusing points in the above wall of text. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rodney_Lacroix
Extreme Employee

You will notice all default Defender roles begin “DFNDR.” Any role you want to be recognized by the Defender container that you make in either the XCA or XMC GUI must begin with DFNDR for the app to recognize it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SeñorSam
New Contributor

:astonished:

Rodney you have made my day. I added “DFNDR” to my test role, and not only did that role pop up in the application, but the end device did as well.

Thank you for your prompt and helpful response! 

Rodney_Lacroix
Extreme Employee

You will notice all default Defender roles begin “DFNDR.” Any role you want to be recognized by the Defender container that you make in either the XCA or XMC GUI must begin with DFNDR for the app to recognize it.

GTM-P2G8KFN