cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cluster ve6120: where can you see to which controller an ap belongs?

cluster ve6120: where can you see to which controller an ap belongs?

Ruud
New Contributor

There are 2 sites connected by vpn. On every site there is a ve6120.

I want to make sure that the access points on site 1 use the ve6120 on that site as primary controller

same for site 2, the ve6120 must be the primary controller on that site.

I want to be sure that delays between the 2 sites will not have an impact on roaming information and …

with roaming events: what is the difference between:

Inside XCC from AP/Radio[2] to AP/Radio[2] Network

or 

Between XCC to AP/Radio[2] 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ovais_Qayyum
Extreme Employee

You can enable the column for “Adoption” info under Monitor > Device > Access Points, which will allow you to see the home controller for the APs. If you are dealing with large no. of APs, it would be easier to use the “Filter” or “Query Builder” option to sort the APs by Site/Hostname etc.

33814c507ba64c568104758fb1f25a8d_1edbbb82-d668-4719-97f3-ad852d606850.png

Regards,

Ovais

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ovais_Qayyum
Extreme Employee

Hi Ruud,

For the first two APs, you may try by rebooting them, upon reboot there is good chance they will associate themselves with the Site-2 local controller first. 

In an Active-Active HA environment, controllers will divide the AP load 50:50 and administrators do not have a controller over which AP goes to which controller. In a single physical site environment, this won’t be a problem but in your case it may happen that some APs will adopt to the remote controller instead of the local one, unless you assign the controllers per site.  

APs maintain links with both controllers in the HA pair, one link is active whereas the other gets activated to handle the failover only when the first link goes down. 

May be you can try by assigning the controllers per site, save the config, reboot the APs and wait for them to come back online and form the links with the assigned controllers. You need to do it on the PRIMARY controller and the SECONDARY will follow the config. Give APs some time to adopt, finish the channel scan and choose a channel after which the radios will appear online.       

You should do it during a maintenance window because this activity will required some time. 

Regards,

Ovais

Ruud
New Contributor

Ok now it is visible. Thank you a lot bb6c2342abff4520bcec9ff17395acb9_1f600.png

At this moment I have 23 access points on the main site and 26 on site 2.

All 23 access points on the main site are linked to the controller of that site.

24 of site 2 are linked to the controller of site 2 but o 2 access points are linked to the controller of site 1.

Is there a way to force those 2  to be linked to the controller of site 2 one by one. Wat I mean is can you force 1 ap to link itself to a specific controller. I do not see the option under actions under the device->configuration.

I know , thanks to the info of Miguel, that you can do this per site. Unfortunately if I select site 2 to be linked to controller 2, only 3 access points are activating their antennas. If I remember now I tried to do this on the backup controller. Should I do this on the main controller?

Kind regards,

Ruud

Ovais_Qayyum
Extreme Employee

You can enable the column for “Adoption” info under Monitor > Device > Access Points, which will allow you to see the home controller for the APs. If you are dealing with large no. of APs, it would be easier to use the “Filter” or “Query Builder” option to sort the APs by Site/Hostname etc.

33814c507ba64c568104758fb1f25a8d_1edbbb82-d668-4719-97f3-ad852d606850.png

Regards,

Ovais

Ruud
New Contributor

I tried it yesterday during a maintenance window, but the result was that only the radios of 3 access points were active again… so I needed to roll back. 

Is it possible that there are already too much access points linked  with this controller from other sites?

Also how can you see afterwards that the access points of site 1 are really linked to the ve6120 of that site?

Kind regards,

Ruud

GTM-P2G8KFN